Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Zopiclone

[sl...]

Can anybody explain why my Mother has been taking zopiclone for over 20 years and it still helps her sleep. Why hasn't she hit tolerance. She takes it a couple of times per week 3.75mg and sometimes 7.5mg.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Sleepyjo,

Of course - like with any other medication - there is great variation between in how individuals react to benzodiazpines.

Further, since Zopiclone has a pretty short half-life (5-6 hours), and your mother takes it only a couple of times a week, she is unlikely to develop dependency (or tolerance). It is the chronic presence of benzodiazpines (or z-drugs) which leads to the kind of changes where these matters become an issue. What Professor Ashton wrote about Halcion and two of the z-drugs (zolpidem and zaleplon) relates to this matter:

https://www.benzo.org.uk/manual/bzcha02.htm#17

In my experience, the only exception to the general rule of slow reduction is triazolam (Halcion). This benzodiazepine is eliminated so quickly (half-life 2 hours) that you are practically withdrawn each day, after a dose the night before. For this reason, triazolam can be stopped abruptly without substitution of a long-acting benzodiazepine. If withdrawal symptoms occur, you could take a short course of diazepam starting at about 10mg, decreasing the dosage as shown on Schedule 2. The same approach applies to the non-benzodiazepines zolpidem and zaleplon which both have half-lives of 2 hours.

Also, taking that lower 3.75 mg dose only a few times a week is going to be a big help in avoiding tolerance.

It took me a few years to hit tolerance with zopiclone. But I was taking the full dose and I could probably count on one hand the number of times I skipped a dose over a span of many years.

Also, once you do hit tolerance, that short half life really works against you. You are basically assured of getting interdose withdrawal and essentially kindling on a daily basis. I think that's what ultimately did me in and why I'm here 7 years later.