Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Kindling advice

[Fo...]

I’m tapering off 1.0mg Klonopin. I got off in 2012 np problem. Had severe anxiety due to trauma and was put on again in 2019. I tapered slowly starting 2/2020, but was impatient with healing and got back on Ativan less than 2 months later, then switched to Klonopin a couple months later. (So mad at myself and my doctor!!!) This taper has been very different. More physical issues. I’m definitely kindled. I’m at .325mg. I don’t know if I can handle this tolerance/kindling for months longer. Any input from others who’ve made it through kindling or are going through it? Thank you!!

Kiki

It sure sounds like that's what's going on, I'm sorry you're living this.  I think the only way out is through, there isn't much you can do but keep going, recover and never take another benzo.  Do you have support at home, are there commitments you're not fulfilling?  How rapid is your taper?

Thank you, Pamster, for your reply. I’m functioning. Still get up every day and work part-time, take care of my household, son, drive… I’m hoping it doesn’t get too much more intense 🙏🏼 I don’t know that going any slower will help, or just prolong the inevitable. I guess that was my question… Im tapering 5-10% per 2 weeks (maybe longer) from this point forward. I was fine until the past week. 

I'm glad to see you're still functional but I know you're miserable.  So many members say it gets tougher at the end, it sounds like you experienced this with your second taper.  As for what to do going forward, you have choices and as you know none of them are good, hold longer, slow or rapid taper or cold turkey.  I wish we could offer you more than painful choices.  :(

for my family,

I know that tough spot of feeling bad and wanting to be off --- but it sure seems you are tapering quite fast.  I just don't want to see you having these large reductions catch up to you ---as it sounds important that you continue to try to remain as functional as possible.  I think the off and on, like you said, could certainly create a kindling situation which simply leaves your CNS quite sensitized and raw.  I know we all want off yesterday, but please consider slowing down a bit.  Either way, we are all here to support you.