Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

How fast should I taper from 7.5mg valium?

[do...]

I have been on valium now for about a week. I am trying to get off of the Ambien I have been taking for about 7 years. My dr. put me on the Valium to deal with the interdose/tolerance withdrawls I was having (they were BAD) .I have just stabalized on the 7.5mg valium. She wants me to stay on this dose for a week. I suppost I must mention that in the attempt to get me off of Ambien the Dr. gave me 2 mg xanax xr fore 3 weeks. So I may be withdrawing from it too, who knows anymore!! I DO NOT want to develop another addiction by staying on this valium longer than absolutely needed. I also DO NOT want to go through the horrible withdrawls I have been through the last few days. Can someone tell me how to taper this valium? I have a Dr. whois very willing to elp but she does not seem to know exactly what to do. she depends on me to telll her what i need and to be honest I do not know what I need. I am just desperate. thanks

Dobbie

Hi Dobbie,

I'm afraid that since you were on the Xanax for 3 weeks and now the Valium for one, that you're going to have to take this slow.  The fact that you were having the inter-dose withdrawals on the Xanax (or the Ambien) means your body is not going to let this happen easily.  You mentioned you're still taking 12.5 mg of Ambien each night on your other thread, it might be a good idea to try and taper that for now while you're still on 7.5 mgs of Valium, what do you think?

Hi again,

As you know, I'm not a fan of the Valium substitution for Ambien, so tapering off of your current 7.5, only to reinstate it with your other 12.5 mg of Ambien doesn't make sense.  You can do this one of two ways, taper the Valium now and leave the 12.5 in place until you're through, then taper that directly by switching to the 10 mg pills.  Or taper the Ambien now with the Valium still on board.  Personally, I think you'd be better off getting rid of the Ambien now while you still have the sedating effects of the Valium.

It's really 6 or one and half dozen of the other, since they both have to go, but please think long and hard about your Dr's suggestion.

I am not too sure what to do. The thing is, I do not think I can take much more Valium. It is so sedating and making me depressed. I am in a weird position because I am not used to being sedated during the day (does this make sense?). I am very used to it at night. If I could drop the Ambien while on this dose of valium I would love to! I wonder if I could start at least cutting it while on the valium. I am afraid the dr has put me in a worse position than I started with. I should have found this site earlier. I trust you guys MUCH more than the doctor. Do you know what I mean? SO frustrating!! I just want to get better from this!! Also , do you think a 1mg per week taper of valium is ok? Since I have not been on that long? I have no idea. Thanks so much!!

Dobbie

Hi Dobbie,

If you're feeling really sedated, then now is a good time to take action on either reducing your Ambein or the Valium before your body totally adjusts to the Valium.  You can use this to your benefit by starting now to reduce the Ambien, however we don't usually suggest members cut the Ambien CR because it's time released, can you get the 10 mg Ambien soon? 

Yes, My doctor gave me the regular ambien. I was just still taking the one cr because I was not cutting it. If I cut I will cut the regular. It is funny because the doctor has given me everything to succeed in the form of medication but has no idea how I should use it! I have liquid valium, and regular Ambien. NOT TO MENTION.....Xanax xr, regular Xanax, regular valium and ambien cr!! I was going to go into a rehab facility recently ( THANK THE LORD my doctor talked me out of it). My husband spoke to the admissions man on the phone and the man was trying to tell my husband that I was an addict. My husband was trying to get out of him if they would do a gradual taper. He said "she will not go if you do not do a gradual taper". The man told him drug addicts will say anything!! My husband told him I had full bottles of many medications and if I were an addict I would be taking them!! No one gets it! Most of us are not drug addicts!! Ok Back on topic......I am scared to get *tooo* addicted to the valium. That is why I thought a 1mg per week taper would be good. Do you think this would be to fast in your experience (or anyone else's) Thanks again!!

Dobbie 

Not many detox centers understand the accidental addict, but we do, I'm very glad your husband is on your side, and glad your Dr wasn't in favor of doing this.  A 1 mg a week reduction would be a good pace for your taper, but hold that until you get off of the Ambien okay?  If you've decided to taper that first, you'll want the sedation the Valium affords. 

You can safely cut your 10 mg Ambien in half to begin with if you'd like.  What you'll need to expect is that however you get this done, you're going to have to deal with insomnia, this is the common denominator we all have while withdrawing from these drugs.  But don't worry, your body is going to figure out how to sleep again, once the drugs are removed, mine did!