Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

starting to taper down on Xanax

[bl...]

Have been on 1.5 mg of Xanax for six months and want to find out the best way to tapper down. I take .5 3x a day. Also tapering off Ambien now doing 2.5 mg. 1/2 5 mg. will do the ambien first and then tackle the Xanax.  looking for support

Hello blackbear, welcome to BenzoBuddies,

I'm glad you're looking for input before starting your Xanax taper, its so important to do this in a way that suits your needs, not some arbitrary reduction or timeline set by someone else, this a big commitment so educating yourself up front is smart.  :thumbsup:

I'm happy to hear you're tapering the Ambien first, this would have been my suggestion.  We recommend reducing your Xanax dose by about 5-10% every couple of weeks or whatever your symptoms dictate, this will hopefully keep you functional.

I'll provide some links of resources plus some boards on the forum to help you get started but please let us know how we can help you.

Pamster

Colorado Consortium Benzodiazepine Deprescribing Guidelines

Planning Your Withdrawal (Taper)

Withdrawal Support (during your taper)

The Ashton Manual

Welcome. There is indeed a way out of this. I did it successfully, and my details are in my signature. Read and the search the forums. Find out what works for you. Listen to your body. Ask questions. Good luck!