Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Does memory and cognition come back?

[So...]

My short and long term memory have taken a hit, and have sadly become worse in the past six weeks.

I used to have great memory, but it has all gone out the window. My cognition is also bad compared to what it used to be. In general i am really slow.

I have been off benzo and antidepressants for a while, but have taken some rescue doses. After the last 10 mg valium i took it all went down hill, and its still going down hill.

Is it possible for my memory and cognition to get better?

Yes, memory and cognition did return for me.  I felt pretty dumb during part of this process and thought at times my young piano students could play better than me.  Once healed, everything was much better. In fact, I think my ability to concentrate, especially during practice, was even better than before I was put on benzos.

I would caution you about sporadic benzo usage. This is a slippery slope to be on, it's far to easy to start relying on them more often and once again develop a physical dependency.  For me, I had to accept the process and have patience.  This was so difficult because withdrawal was unlike anything I had ever experienced. After all, I was on the tennis court 2 weeks after having my gall bladder removed. Why was this so different.  I did persevere and it was worth the effort.

pianogirl  :smitten:

Yes, memory and cognition did return for me.  I felt pretty dumb during part of this process and thought at times my young piano students could play better than me.  Once healed, everything was much better. In fact, I think my ability to concentrate, especially during practice, was even better than before I was put on benzos.

I would caution you about sporadic benzo usage. This is a slippery slope to be on, it's far to easy to start relying on them more often and once again develop a physical dependency.  For me, I had to accept the process and have patience.  This was so difficult because withdrawal was unlike anything I had ever experienced. After all, I was on the tennis court 2 weeks after having my gall bladder removed. Why was this so different.  I did persevere and it was worth the effort.

pianogirl  :smitten:

It is good to hear it can get better!

It is quite distressing not being able to remember something i read two seconds ago or what someone just said to me. I really struggle in conversations, and i Feel like i have to apologize to my Friends because i cant remember what they tell me or remember anything about their lives.

I cant even remember what i Did earlier today. Its like a weird resistance in my head when i try to access it and i just come up blank