Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Week 6: Going through a lot right now

[Fr...]

Hello all,

I’m in the 6th week of a slow taper after 16 years of diazepam used as needed at bedtime to treat insomnia (varied doses of between 2.5-10mg depending on need, averaged 5mg/night). I have a history of PTSD with panic attacks and agoraphobia. I’ve been doing cut & hold 5% every 2 weeks, and I’ve been having little to no withdrawal symptoms. But, I’ve recently started a new job and my hours have been temporary cut for 3 weeks. I will have to commute to a toxic work environment (worked there before) until my hours are available at my new base location.I also tested positive for COVID last week with symptoms of cough, weakness, fever, fatigue, and a couple episodes of shortness of breath. This has been very scary. Both from a medical and financial viewpoint. My COVID symptoms have greatly improved…I just have a lingering hoarseness of my voice and occasional cough. I accidentally cut my diazepam 5% last week, when I was planning to cut this week to 3.2mg. Probably COVID fogginess. I’m thinking I should hold at previous dose 3.4mg/night for 2 weeks and then resume my taper given the extra stress and anxiety. What do you all think? Thanks!

Freedom 64

You've got a lot going on, I'm happy to hear your Covid symptoms are lessening and I think it's a very good idea to hold your dose.  Getting Covid and stress in your work situation are valid reasons to hold your taper because both of these can cause increased symptoms so this is the perfect example of making your taper work for you, not you working for your taper.  Flexibility is key in a taper so please adjust it accordingly when faced with life challenges.