Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

My bad temper is horrible

[Ka...]

Can anyone relate to this? I know low-stress tolerance is common during withdrawals but I am tired of mine as I react to my family or friends' words easily and it makes me feel agitated and irritated so much most of the time. I know these always cause me terrible waves later and last for several days or weeks but can not stop it at all. So I have been hesitant to contact my close friend. Now I am reading a book on anger management to seek to get out of the loop and also am massaging my body to calm myself but my negative thoughts are still really obsessive. I noticed that posting here made me feel calm gradually but I think I will repeat this above pattern again in a few days. I am wondering how you distract yourself from your stressful situations during w/d. Your feedback would be so helpful. thank you...

I'm glad to know posting here made you feel a little bit calmer, and its interesting you've been able to connect your negative reactions to others with subsequent waves, its amazing how much we learn about ourselves while going through this.

I think its great you're reading that book and looking for ways to calm yourself, taking proactive steps like this shows such growth while you're recovering, imagine how emotionally healthy you'll be when you finally heal.  I don't have any tips for you because its been so long since I've been through this but I wanted to let you know I'm so impressed with what you're doing to help yourself.

Yeah, I get angry from it sometimes for whatever reason.  I got into an argument with my wife earlier that wouldn't have happened if not dealing with PAWS.  I try to just recognize it and give "not getting angry" my best shot.  I can relate. 

Thank you again for responding, Pamster. Yes posting is very helpful as I write in my diary in my notebook,too but am tired of worrying by myself. It might be useful to see myself objectively by doing it but it seems to make me much more agitated. Today I went walking alone to free from the family time and minimize conflicts. I was homebound over pollen season,so hope it helps somehow. 😖and yes I really hope I can stay calm attitude to them when I am healed more.

Hi,Shoelace50, Thank you for relating to me and the suggestion. I react to my partner's words,too so often,so I will try that out. I really need to shorten my anger duration as it always leads me to be haunted by unstoppable negative imagination. ugh 😖

Hi Kay,

it is rather timely that you posted this about anger because today I am having full-on rage. I am so easily triggered by anything "frustrating" that it is taking me aback...though I do have anger issues some days, but today I am a beast.

I am trying use meditation techniques to be an observer of my anger and about to do try some yoga, but I am really wondering what the hells et me off today more than most days! Everything annoys me!

Hi,TaterTot91, "Everything annoys me"...that is just what I was gonna describe my situation. Some of their words are what old me might have been angry with, too but these sound more contradictory to me and explode me, in the end, reflect symptoms too extraordinary😖 So I am going to limit to just a few topics when talking with my family to avoid arguments. They always deprive me of so much energy...ugh! Thank you for the reply, I am glad I posted here! I won't blame myself, knowing that I am not alone with this. It means a lot to me!

I tend to think that less is more when dealing with conversations and our unregulated central nervous systems. We can be easily triggered, so to speak, and might easily say something we regret and cannot recover from. I try to hold my tongue and use calming self-talk when I know I could say something retaliatory or defensive. No one wins if that happens. I also try to communicate using the mantra: is it truthful? Is it helpful? Is it necessary? It is kind?

After I have processed my internal dialogue through that lens usually the moment has passed.

Other times I go into a room and talk to myself what I WOULD like to say! LOL.

Thank you for the suggestion,TaterTot91! Just a while ago, My blood pressure almost got high again while I talked with my family, which I blame on my PMS that was worsened by benzo..😓 but reading our mantra method and Shoulace's advice really helped me with shortening the duration of the irritation! It is like a cushion that absorbs an impact of the emotion to have another me talk to myself by these objective words. I think I need more training myself to acquire the method so that I can lower my sensitivities more! Oh, I will try the another room method,too like they can listen to me a little...lol  ;D

Thank you guys for the great advice, and Pamster, too always for being there and giving us the environment to talk to. I did not imagine that someone would give me feedback like that. I should have posted here earlier. Hugs to you all  :smitten: