Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Vitamin D Deficient

[he...]

Hi Buddies,

I just had my labs done to check my vitamins, and I am deficient in vitamin D. The doctor has suggested 2,000 IUs per day. Has anyone else had this issue, and were you able to supplement vitamin D during your taper without problems? Some of my issues (fog, depression, SI) could be related to this and not just the benzo WD.

Are there any other vitamins/minerals that tend to get low during WD from benzos? My B12 was normal. Magnesium was also normal.

Thank you for your help, Libertas. I did a search using the search feature, but the results were all over the place.

You’re welcome.  The forum search engine is a bit long-in-the-tooth.  To obtain more targeted results, try entering a search string into your browser/search engine.  For example:

site:benzobuddies.org vitamin d taper

Just fyi I was seriously deficient in Vitamin D on my taper. (I live in the Pacific Northwest. Not enough sunlight, and and I tended to hang out inside, to make matters worse). My do suggested 2,000 IUs per day. I started taking this dose maybe 10 years ago and have just continued, as I regularly test low. I experienced no adverse effects from the Vitamin D -- then or now.

Hope this helps.

Katz

That does help, Katz. Thank you!

Did getting your vitamin D up help you during your taper (alleviate or reduce some symptoms)?

No, herefor. It neither helped nor harmed. I wish I could tell you it helped, but it didn't seem to. Sorry. (As I recall, sadly, nothing helped).

Best,

Katz

I was severely low on my Vit D. Initially I had to take 3000 IU's per day. I had no adverse reaction. I'm now down to 1000. Like oregonkatz said, it did nothing to improve my taper, but I believe it's really important for your immune system.