Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Exploding Head Syndrome

[...]

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exploding_head_syndrome

This is what I’ve been experiencing. When falling asleep, especially on the side, I hear these pops and see flashes of light sometimes. Happens right on the cusp of actually falling asleep. It’s a remnant of the “cortisol rushes” and physical anxiety that I’ve been experiencing when trying to fall asleep on the side.

Is this “brain zaps” that people have been referring to? Anyone else with this experience?

Hi, I've had this for years on and off. Never put 2 and 2 together to connect them to meds. I've also had my fair share of brain zaps, they are very similar but the exploding head is more severe. Well at least it is for me, makes me jump out of bed pretty much. The zaps don't really shock you.

This was a symptom in the acute phase. A very high sound, a "shotgun" to my head, and then a barking dog. My head was "exploding" and I was terrified, a stroke? But then I read about "Exploding Head Syndrome."

I’ve had this in the beginning when extremely sleep deprived. It sounded like a firework going off and I’d jolt awake.

Weird. I don't have any other symptoms left. It doesn't even bother me enough to interfere with sleep. I feel the jolts for a little bit and then doze off in minutes.

Oh yeah, I totally had it

It's the weirdest thing. Sounds like a firework or a really loud slamming door....but inside your head, no one else hears it.

I had them from AD and AP CTs, and benzo CT. Also, had brutal insomnia so there's that too, the lack of sleep. Kinda all stacked against especially I the beginning.

I never have them now though