Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Anybody else who got MGD? Did the dry eye ever get better?

[Et...]

This is one of my most annoying things I am dealing with right now is crazy dry eye. I got the pictures of my glands and they're not great, lots have just simply died off. I am fortunate in that my year glands are still working so a couple yawns will get me fixed up for a bit but ugh, the dry eye is awful! I was going to get a bike and then I realized just how bad that would be for my eyes and it made me want to cry honestly. I have done 3 IPL treatments and I'm on 50mg of doxycycline a day but the doxy is doing more for my facial rosacea than my ocular rosacea (although I won't complain about my face being less red) and some days my vision gets so bad that I pretty much can't see!

I never had any problems with dry eye before I went into tolerance withdrawal.

Ethereal, do you have a lot of insomnia?

Not really. I actually didn't have a ton of insomnia even when I was tapering because when I would stop sleeping, I would hold. My symptoms were unbearable if I didn't sleep. Just missing one night of sleep would have my nerves sending fire throughout my body. Incredible pain which obviously made it even more difficult to sleep.

I get 6-8 hours a night usually.

This is actually one of the reasons I stopped Clonazepam as I know medication can cause dry eyes and thought that was the answer. I have MGD and mild rosacea on my face that started around the same time as well but it’s impossible to tell what the cause was/is. I’ve had IPL as well and it helps a bit but my eyes are now the least of my issues but it’s still awful regardless. Have you tried manuka honey products?  They burn a lot at first but make a noticeable difference for me. Also you need at least 4 ipl usually for there to be a difference.

This is actually one of the reasons I stopped Clonazepam as I know medication can cause dry eyes and thought that was the answer. I have MGD and mild rosacea on my face that started around the same time as well but it’s impossible to tell what the cause was/is. I’ve had IPL as well and it helps a bit but my eyes are now the least of my issues but it’s still awful regardless. Have you tried manuka honey products?  They burn a lot at first but make a noticeable difference for me. Also you need at least 4 ipl usually for there to be a difference.

I wish I could have stopped before the damage was done.

I was scheduled for a fourth IPL in January and unfortunately my symptoms flared up so much I canceled it and then I jumped in February so I haven't been back. That said, it definitely helped. I think the huge die off of the demodex is actually what caused me to get a huge chalazion last year which is still healing slowly. It scabs up and then the skin grows out and pushes it off, taking off a small slice of it each time. I was hoping it would be gone by the time I go back for more IPL but I think I'm going to have to go in next month (my anxiety won't let me do it just yet).

I bought a package and still have three more sessions.

I have read about Manuka and thought about it. Honestly I don't do very well with stinging and things in my eyes which is why I don't use any eye drops (and why I'm thankful that my tear glands still work well most of the time) but if these last three IPL sessions don't make a large enough difference I'll have to consider other options, especially when it gets cold outside because that seems to be when my symptoms are the worst.

I was scheduled for a fourth IPL in January and unfortunately my symptoms flared up so much I canceled it and then I jumped in February so I haven't been back. That said, it definitely helped. I think the huge die off of the demodex is actually what caused me to get a huge chalazion last year which is still healing slowly. It scabs up and then the skin grows out and pushes it off, taking off a small slice of it each time. I was hoping it would be gone by the time I go back for more IPL but I think I'm going to have to go in next month (my anxiety won't let me do it just yet).

I have read about Manuka and thought about it. Honestly I don't do very well with stinging and things in my eyes which is why I don't use any eye drops (and why I'm thankful that my tear glands still work well most of the time) but if these last three IPL sessions don't make a large enough difference I'll have to consider other options, especially when it gets cold outside because that seems to be when my symptoms are the worst.

Sorry to hear that. Mine are pretty severe and can’t be in the sun, and get burning from tv, and video games, fans, and even my own tears burn my eyes from yawning etc.

I don’t use eye drops either since I’m not good at not closing my eyes as a reflex when putting them in. The honey is a gel that I put on the lid margins morning and night and it’s anti inflammatory, antimicrobial, and gets rid of allergies as well. It does really burn like I said though but it’s because of the Ph balance.

Have you used a machine to check how your eyes are like a oculus keratograph, or the the glands with a meibography?

Sorry to hear that. Mine are pretty severe and can’t be in the sun, and get burning from tv, and video games, fans, and even my own tears burn my eyes from yawning etc.

I don’t use eye drops either since I’m not good at not closing my eyes as a reflex when putting them in. The honey is a gel that I put on the lid margins morning and night and it’s anti inflammatory, antimicrobial, and gets rid of allergies as well. It does really burn like I said though but it’s because of the Ph balance.

Have you used a machine to check how your eyes are like a oculus keratograph, or the the glands with a meibography?

Yep I get the same symptoms. The burning from my own tears has thankfully reduced in severity but the other symptoms are pretty awful when they flare up and I get blurry vision a lot on bad days so I tend to use my phone for browsing and games rather than my computer because the phone is easier to see. It's terrible and I honestly was suicidal because it was so bad before I saw the ophthalmologist last year.

I had all the tests done. My meibomian glands were not quite at the severe loss stage yet but pretty close. Ocular surface is actually rather healthy according to both ophthalmologists I have seen. My ocular rosacea has been helped a lot by 50mg of doxycycline a day too.

I may have to look into the Manuka thing. What I was talking about are the Manuka eye drops they make. I definitely wouldn't use those lol.

I think I need to go back to doing warm compresses too. I bought this TearRestore kit that allows you to see while you're wearing it and was doing it daily but I got 5 packs and they all stopped fully liquefying within the last month and I just bought them in December. At $20 a pop, I expected them to last longer. The website claims 180 uses from two of them and I didn't even get that from 5... I really don't want to spend $200+ a year on these things.

I was hoping to hear that it gets better the longer you have been off the benzos but it sounds like that isn't the case. :(

Yep I get the same symptoms. The burning from my own tears has thankfully reduced in severity but the other symptoms are pretty awful when they flare up and I get blurry vision a lot on bad days so I tend to use my phone for browsing and games rather than my computer because the phone is easier to see. It's terrible and I honestly was suicidal because it was so bad before I saw the ophthalmologist last year.

I had all the tests done. My meibomian glands were not quite at the severe loss stage yet but pretty close. Ocular surface is actually rather healthy according to both ophthalmologists I have seen. My ocular rosacea has been helped a lot by 50mg of doxycycline a day too.

I may have to look into the Manuka thing. What I was talking about are the Manuka eye drops they make. I definitely wouldn't use those lol.

I think I need to go back to doing warm compresses too. I bought this TearRestore kit that allows you to see while you're wearing it and was doing it daily but I got 5 packs and they all stopped fully liquefying within the last month and I just bought them in December. At $20 a pop, I expected them to last longer. The website claims 180 uses from two of them and I didn't even get that from 5... I really don't want to spend $200+ a year on these things.

I was hoping to hear that it gets better the longer you have been off the benzos but it sounds like that isn't the case. :(

I’m not 100% sure it’s from benzos. Did you have rosacea before? Also do the warm compresses work for you?  I’m asking because they make the redness way worse for me.

I didn't have rosacea before benzos. I got styes occasionally but that's it. I have heard many people have this complaint about benzos when they go into withdrawal.

I didn't have rosacea before benzos. I got styes occasionally but that's it. I have heard many people have this complaint about benzos when they go into withdrawal.

When did it start for you?  It says you started benzos 2004 so it’d be impossible to know if it’s from that since that was almost 20 years ago.