Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Waves and windows - help valium taper

[Mi...]

I recently reduced from 11.5mg to 11mg on the valium in 2 steps. I was hit by a wave with terrible depression for about a month. Worked hard to lift myself from a very low place and a window came for a month. Did no more cuts. I have now been hit with another wave (not sure if stressors or it just arrived or combo) but with it is coming terrible depression and struggling to find positives or want to do anything.

I still have such a long way to go. I do have some physical symptoms when in a wave - insomnia, lack of appetite, no concentration - but majority is mental. this deep depression is actually scaring me. Does it mean that will be my symptom every time now?

Does this mean that waves and windows will come throughout the taper even when you stick at the same amount? I have had several dips in the last year but these last two I am really struggling with the depth of despair. I cannot reduce from this place. Will an even keel return?

I've read here that some members have depression on Valium.  Do you think this symptom has gotten worse since you switched from lorazepam to Valium?

Hi Kate08

When I feel good I feel good. I guess the other members can clarify if they feel depressed all the time or not?

Do you think your subconscious mind and/or stress could set off a wave?

How do others manage it.

Whenever I drop, I seem to drop really low now.

Would be good to hear strategies from others how to get through and cope. It seems to overtake my brain.

Distraction was my main tool as I tapered.  I wasn't picky about how I spent my time - puzzles, surfing the internet, cooking, walking, needlework, Netflix - all of it helped get me through the rough days.  I think I had a pretty good level of acceptance that there would be tough days, too, which helped.  I didn't fight it for the most part.

Did that switch off your negative thoughts?

Mine appear to be running in the background all the time.

Like I am never going to get off as I have been kindled. Every time something stressful comes up I get knocked back into a wave and never seem to manage to reduce.

Distraction was my main tool as I tapered.  I wasn't picky about how I spent my time - puzzles, surfing the internet, cooking, walking, needlework, Netflix - all of it helped get me through the rough days.  I think I had a pretty good level of acceptance that there would be tough days, too, which helped.  I didn't fight it for the most part.