Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Horror movie flashbacks anyone?

Okay, i know I'm going crazy now.  One sx leaves and another invariably takes it's place.  Was watching a movie and a scene with a horse getting teased came on and my mind went to the movie "the cell" where the horse in that one gets sliced into a bunch of pieces.  I LOVE horses!  But, now when I look at the pictures in my house with them in it, or even my dog that vision enters my head.  WTH!  Please tell me I'm not crazy.  I'm 7 wks out from a 10mg valium ct, and I don't understand this at all.  Intrusive thoughts are happening, past trauma is coming up!  Someone help!  Thanks

Pauline

Hi Pauline,

I am going through this now severely with the intrusive thoughts...memories, past trauma, etc etc....

I cannot watch TV or listen to music because of what it brings up for me.

It is not as bad now as it was when I was first off the medicine but still very intense and hard to deal with.

So sorry you are having this. You are not crazy. It is from these insane medications.

-C

You are not crazy.  I had to be extremely careful about what I watched for the first 2 1/2 months for the same reasons that you stated.  Now at 4 months after c/t off 4 mg of Ativan, not so much.  I still avoid horror movies for the most part because they will give me weird dreams.  I used to get night terrors in the beginning as well if I watched scary/gory movies.  The next morning I'd wake up gripped with fear and had obsessive mental playbacks all day long of the movie scenes.  That all went away.

Oh thank God Perseverence.  I've been so horrified by all this..  I just cannot believe what is happening to my mind at all!  Im terrified.  It takes everything I have to get through a day right now.  Thank you so much for responding. 

Glad your's have gone away, it gives me hope!

Paulina

Last summer during my first attempt at quitting- I'd been off for about a month.  I went to see Toy Story 3. Yep- not a slasher movie. A bunch of toys. Well, the sensory overload from the animation, the really big bear...I was in a cold sweat over the Ken doll! Too make matters worse- you know the plot deals with the kid going off to college, right? Well, I have a daughter away at school- so I am this huge mess, trying to hide it and not let my husband know I cannot handle Toy Story.

I had memories come up of things that I had completely forgotten- every little thing or smell reminded me of something.

Now having reinstated for 7 mos, and in tolerance, wishing to heck I had ridden it out further- but wanted you to know you are just over sensitized by the w/d. Remind yourself its not you, its the healing process. Every misery you ride out is one step closer to less misery. Hang in there-S

That was hilarious northofhere! Although I am sure it was not funny while it was happening.  Yes, difficult to explain that one to the hubby I'm sure.