Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Introduction

[sb...]

I'm on Xanax and have been on it daily for... what a year now? Wow its been that long? I have generalized anxiety disorder, panic disorder, and bipolar disorder. Because of the bipolar disorder I can't take antidepressants. So I'm taking xanax. I am starting CBT so that I can try to get off the xanax but I was told it could take 9 months to finish up the CBT. I also have ADHD so recently the CBT therapist said I'm not focusing too well and he wants me to be better medicated for ADHD before we work together (my pscyhiatrist and I have been working to find the right ADHD medication). At this rate I will have been on xanax for a minimum of two years before I can attempt to get off. I'm worried that its going to be too long, but I even get panic attacks now, with taking it daily. I take the lowest amount, 4x a day and one for prn. Kind of scared about all the horror stories I hear about people coming off of it, so I hope that being on it for two years isn't going to be a problem. I'm not so sure I can function without it.

Hello sbgirl, welcome to BenzoBuddies,

The problem with benzo's is that once we become dependent on them, they begin to cause the things we went on them to fix, panic, anxiety and insomnia, and it's not just the normal stuff we're used to, it's all of those on steroids. 

Length of use is a concern but to tell you the truth, once you go past about 3 months, it's not a big difference to go from 1 year to 2 years, of course, if you're on it for decades like many of our members it will matter.  I do worry about your body reaching tolerance though, you may find you'll need to increase your dose to achieve the same effect over the next year making more for you to taper at some point.

I'm not sure of your dose, you mention you take it 4 times a day.

I'll provide some links to get you started but its good you're doing your research, this is a difficult process but educating yourself is the right approach.

Pamster

Colorado Consortium Benzodiazepine Deprescribing Guidelines

Planning Your Withdrawal (Taper)

Withdrawal Support (during your taper)

The Ashton Manual

Welcome sbgirl!! Glad you are here and are getting help in taking care of yourself. You are focusing enough to articulate here what you've been dealing with!

In case it's of interest, I used a program to help my pain symptoms that also has a book about anxiety and depression--which I also have. The material and train of thought were very helpful to me and I did a workshop and some of the work in this book. https://unlearnyourpain.com/unlearn-your-anxiety-depression-book/

Hope you'll look around the forum and get support and connection, that's what helped me with my taper.

Cheers,

Kachina