Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Partial transition from clonazepam to diazepam?

[Au...]

Hi everyone, going through these forums I’m noticing that many seem to have trouble making the transition fully from diazepam to clonazepam. I’m wondering if anybody has had any success with a partial transition? I take 1mg of clonazepam every night (0.75mg at dinner time and 0.25mg before bed) and am wondering if transitioning to 10mg diazepam with 0.25mg clonazepam at dinner time and then taking my usual 0.25mg clonazepam before bed would be a good idea before I begin to taper? Would this make the tapering process less stressful? Or would this not help much?

Do you have a doctor willing to prescribe both medications, some are hesitant to do so.  Also, have you ever taken Diazepam, do you know how you react to it, some members have difficulty taking it because it feels different than what they currently take.  Are you dealing with interdose withdrawal from the Clonazepam, is this why you're thinking about transitioning? 

Adding or subtracting medications can be challenging, any change made will require an adjustment period, if you don't absolutely need to do this, I wouldn't advise it.  Of course, if you're miserable on the Clonazepam then it could be beneficial.

Diazepam is known for its sedation and depression but I'm told that once your body acclimates these issues will fade, however some members have had to go back to their original benzo because they couldn't make the adjustment.

Are you suffering from interdose withdrawal of the Clonazepam, is this why you're considering crossing over?  You might consider dosing more than once a day if this is the case.

Clonazepam has a long half life, not as long as Valium but many members taper directly from it, you can hold off on the decision to cross over if the need arises down the road.  I've just seen too many members think that Valium will make things so much better and it can for those who are suffering severe interdose but if your incentive to do this isn't strong enough, it can be a difficult process.