Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Exercise?

[Au...]

Is it possible that exercise can put excessive stress on the CNS and cause setbacks? Or am I being paranoid? I saw that many sources recommend exercise during the tapering process, but I’ve also read a couple people talk about how exercise can flare up their anxiety.

I have always walked up to three miles every day in withdrawal.  I walk at a very comfortable pace.  Other people might have the energy or the interest to do more. I don't know if it would would painfully rev you up but it's stress like any other stress.

Exercise really helps me!  It actually helps calm me and strengthen my body and mind.  It reminds me that I am still able, my body is strong and I will win this battle.  Everyone is different, so it's so hard to say if you are ready for it, but it doesn't cause setbacks.  Maybe just start small, little walks here and there, if that feels good, move onto more or different exercise if you can tolerate it.  I have read exercise helps with withdrawal.  Do a search here and see what others have posted.  I know the Ashton Manuel also talks about exercise as being helpful.  Do what you body needs........

Hugs and best wishes!

Hi A, I go to the gym almost every day and do cardio and weights. I’ve done it my whole life and it has helped me thru the anxiety wd immensely. I agree with the other members who replied start conservative and see if it helps. Everyone is different for me it helps a lot and in wd I sit around a lot so I really need it to Leto my body fit and healthy

Joeb

Another vote for exercise!  Throughout most of my taper I walked at least a half hour every day and worked on home landscaping projects.  Physical activity helped siphon off anxiety and restlessness and wore me out in a good way.  Since most of my taper was during times of covid isolation, I walked laps around my driveway circle.  My neighbors must have thought I was a wind-up toy.  Eventually I got bored with it, but it helped a lot when I needed it most. 

Everybody's different, but exercise gets a thumbs up from me!

best of luck to you!

clearbluesky

Like Joeb, I am a lifelong exerciser too. I try to ride my stationary bike daily for 20-30 minutes. I belong to a fitness ctr but going has been hit and miss lately. I too agree that exercise is beneficial  and helps to dissipate anxiety if you can do it. Be gentle with yourself tho. My cardio is mild to moderate, no high intensity stuff right now.