Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

It takes as long as it takes, keep at it! :)

[Et...]

Hi, Buddies!

I just wanted to make a post to give some encouragement to those who may be struggling with how long their taper is taking and may be feeling like it won’t ever end or they won’t succeed. I asked and got permission from Pamster to make this post here instead of Success Stories to give some encouragement to people who may find themselves in the same position I did, deep in withdrawal and wondering if I had any hope of such a long taper being successful. I will keep this short and post my full story in Success Stories after this (give me some time, it is going to be a huge post lol here it is http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=267688.msg3368308#msg3368308) as I know during withdrawal we don’t always feel like reading a lot.

I was on benzos since 2004 and it took me from 2/14/2018 til 2/17/2022 to taper off of 20mg of Valium. I was insanely dependent and I was convinced I was never going to succeed but I made it and you can do so too. I have been through rapid detox at least four times, a previous attempt at the Ashton Method taper process, a few times cold turkey… I had fully kindled and was expected to be a lifer. I am not 100%, still very much learning how to cope without the pills day to day, simple things like going to the mailbox still make me incredibly anxious and so does exercise, but I am already feeling better than I was before I started tapering as I was in tolerance withdrawal hell.

Don’t be afraid to take as long as you need. You can’t rush healing and everyone has different tolerances. I know it is frustrating when you feel like you aren’t moving but look at how long it took me and the fact I still succeeded in the end despite sometimes months of holding my dose and taking 4 years and 3 days to finish. As long as you don’t give up, you will succeed in the end. Some people will take 6 months, some people will take years like myself. It’s not a race. I was very frustrated because I wasn’t aware of people taking as long as I did and I wasn’t sure I would ever get to the finish line but I kept pushing, I crossed it, and I continue to make progress every day.

Keep it up, Buddies, you can do this!

I just read your success story, thank you for putting a link to it here, what an incredible journey!  I hope you'll update us as you reach your milestones.  :smitten:

I just read your success story, thank you for putting a link to it here, what an incredible journey!  I hope you'll update us as you reach your milestones.  :smitten:

Oh yeah, I'll definitely be checking in here more as the triggering nature of being on this site lessens. I struggled with that a lot during my taper so I had to log out for awhile. :)