Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Why do I feel surges and panic in the morning?

[Ap...]

Hi, I have been sleeping fairly well. I was having some night terrors for awhile but they went away. I now just have very vivid dreams which are ok. But, when I awake in the morning, which is way earlier than I would like, I feel an immediate surge in my body like I  want to jump out of bed and I have weird frightening thoughts. Does anyone know if this is common during tapering and what causes it? That would be of great help to me. Thank you.

Yes. Morning cortisol rush. Just know that it lessens as the day goes on. I think it will eventually fade - Im still in last of taper but I had it bad when i tried to CT and mildly now on baby dose of xanax.

I'm still at a high dose of K. Over 3mg. I have tried to taper 5% and even higher. It didn't work for me.

I did get the morning anxiety, dread and cortisol surges.

I am now tapering about  1.3% ever 2 weeks. I am doing much better. I am on day 6 and will see how it goes.

Like BMC stated, it lessens as the day goes on.

Totally normal symptom.

Dana

Thank you Dana and BMC for your responses. I will keep in mind that this symptom will fade as the day progresses.

I can tell you that the cortisol rushes were awful but they did eventually go away for me towards the end of my taper and haven't come back post-taper. I used to get them between 2-5AM and they would prevent me from being able to sleep (I hardly ever can go to bed before 2AM on a normal day, it's just how I'm wired) and make me panicky and gross and they just stopped happening as my brain and CNS adapted. Hang in there.  :thumbsup:

I had terrible mornings before I tapered off benzos and while tapering until I got toward the end and then they started to improve.  I am happy to say that my mornings are totally fine these days.  Goodness I don't miss those awful days ...  ::)