Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Llyrica is the same as benzos. See NIH link

[Ni...]

What help do you need, Night into Day?  Are you seeking assistance with tapering Lyrica?

fyi The paper you referenced is a single subject case study so it doesn’t really tell us that Lyrica/pregabalin withdrawal is “the same as” benzodiazepine withdrawal.  (Also, the authors’ hypothesis regarding a similar mechanism of discontinuation is questionable given that the mechanism of action of benzodiazepines is different from that of pregabalin.)

What the paper does tell us is that a 62-year old female began to experience discontinuation symptoms after she reduced her Lyrica dose from 150mg three times a day to 150mg daily over a three month period.  (The other psychoactive medications she was taking — 100mg of sertraline in the morning, 100mg of trazodone at night, and alprazolam 0.5mg three times a day — may also have been a factor.)

I've used Pregabalin quite a bit over the last 12 months but I've never gone over 150mg and I've only used it 3-4 times a week or if my benzo withdrawal is bad.

I stopped taking it 2 months ago and had no symptoms of withdrawal that I noticed. That being said high doses for a long period are said to give some people some withdrawals which don't seem as long as benzo withdrawal.

This is my experience, obviously where all different and my usage was low.

Hi to everyone who has replied to me. I am still learning how to do things in this app. Right now I can’t reply to any of you except in this way as a general Reply. I just want to say that appreciate your input and hope to be able to reply to you individually soon.

Even though their name might suggest it, Lyrica and Gabapentin are actually not GABA drugs, they don't bind to GABA receptors. Instead they block Calcium channels in the brain. Calcium influx into a neuron causes excitation, so blocking it reduces CNS activity.

Gabapentin and Pregabalin have an indirect effect on GABA. They make the cells produce more glutamate decarboxylase enzymes which turn glutamate into GABA, thereby increasing GABA concentration. But still they are different class of drugs.

After abusing sedatives I have a strong kindling effect. If I would take 1mg of xanax or dring a few beers I would get withdrawal like symptoms the next day. But with Pregabalin this doesn't happen, I can take 500mg without causing any problems with my GABA system.