Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

My job and my taper don't mix

[Iv...]

Sadly I have had a horrible time every time my taper heads below .5 mgs clonazepam daily.  I am trying to get to .375 mgs daily and then hold for awhile - that will be more than 80% off original dose in one year of taper.

My employer is unbelievable yet I have 22 years there, I am almost 60 years old, and my long-term goal was just to ride that job out until about two years from now. 

Employer sprung 11-hour shifts on me this week. I did get an email saying it was temporary (ending next Tuesday 4/26) but just the stress of it plus this taper had me in a state last night that I can only describe as ready to be committed to a psyche ward, and the physical side effects of the stress are awful.

There are a lot of paths I can go down to better my situation, but, unfortunately, just quitting with no replacement job lined up (and then being able to finish my taper at home immediately)  has not been an option for me. 

Does anyone have ideas?

I don't have anyone who can financially support me and the last psychiatrist I saw said she doesn't believe in disability, more specifically, she didn't believe I should pursue a disability route.  Yes I know, that's INSANE.  I am literally sick today from all of this but still worked since 5 am! 

Ivy, I'm sure there is a lot of fear about those long shifts.  I used to do them and they are a bear.  At minimum you should consider holding your taper until the long shifts are over and you've recovered from that.  Situations like these are why we suggest a flexible taper plan.

Jack in the job, and then any suggestions as to where to get funding for shelter, food, etc.? And health insurance? I am in the States where it's hard to get disability, and where no one cares if you are homeless.  At least in 2024 I will get Social Security if I want it early.

Is this job really worth damaging your health for? Imo you should jack it in

I know you mean well but best not to give advice and suggesting someone quit their job is pretty drastic.  This person may be her sole support and any decision like this should not be taken lightly.

Kate08 thanks for validating what I already think is the path forward - super slow taper with long holds until I can leave the job.