Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Intro

[Sa...]

Hello, I’m new and this is my intro. I’ve been on Xanax extended release for 5 or so years now and am trying to taper off.

Hello SailorPromise, welcome to BenzoBuddies,

Why have you decided taper off of Xanax, are you experiencing problems?  Have you started your taper yet?  We recommend reducing by about 5-10% of your dose every couple of weeks or whatever your symptoms dictate, its important to remain functional.

I'll provide some links to get you started but please reach out to let us know how we can help.

Pamster

The Ashton Manual

Planning Your Withdrawal (Taper)

Withdrawal Support (during your taper)

Hi Sailor,  good to have you here. Have you made a taper plan yet? I hope your doctor is supporting you. I would encourage you to go slowly to allow your boy to heal as you reduce. Are you having symptoms at the moment? Here to help.

Hardy.

Hello SailorPromise, welcome to BenzoBuddies,

Why have you decided taper off of Xanax, are you experiencing problems?  Have you started your taper yet?  We recommend reducing by about 5-10% of your dose every couple of weeks or whatever your symptoms dictate, its important to remain functional.

I'll provide some links to get you started but please reach out to let us know how we can help.

Pamster

The Ashton Manual

Planning Your Withdrawal (Taper)

Withdrawal Support (during your taper)

Thanks! Well, besides the fact that I’ve been on them for about 5 or more years now, I’m moving to another country and will be leaving my current Dr so that’s a big factor. I’m also pretty I’ve been in tolerance withdrawals for a while now after reading up on the symptoms when I thought it was alllll these other things. Of course now I’m attributing any feeling at all to it being withdrawals.

I started tapering (before researching) at .25 instant release Xanax once a day for 2 days then I cut that in half. On that 3rd day I drank a lot of alcohol and the next morning had the worst hangover and anxiety of my life, and my husband said I was psychotically blacked out. So I went back to taking my regular XR 1mg. But now I feel like I’m still withdrawing so that really sucks. Terrible timing too because I’m graduating college in 2 weeks and then have a 10 day trip to Jamaica and don’t want to be suffering. So I’m trying to come up with a game plan.

Hi Sailor,  good to have you here. Have you made a taper plan yet? I hope your doctor is supporting you. I would encourage you to go slowly to allow your boy to heal as you reduce. Are you having symptoms at the moment? Here to help.

Hardy.

Thank you! I see my Dr in 2 days and will try to work out a taper plan then. I tried to taper myself before doing any research at .25 instant release once a day for 2 days then halved that and on the 3rd day I had alcohol and ended up blacking out and having the worst hangover of my life. So I went back to just the regular 1mg XR until I can talk to my Dr. Oddly I was actually feeling fine on such a strong taper the first couple of days. Just some nausea that would be alleviated with the .25.

Its a good you went back to your regular dose, I hope you can stabilize and enjoy your trip to Jamaica, congratulations on graduating from college.  Hopefully when you get back you can begin a slow taper, we can help you get a game plan in place. 

How long do you have until you move out of country?  And as far as symptoms go, we all pretty much blame everything on the benzo's but that doesn't stop us from having tests for everything because these symptoms are so crazy.

Just a tip, alcohol and benzo's affect the same receptors in the brain so using alcohol while tapering and recovering can be tricky, most avoid it because it can really mess things up.

Its a good you went back to your regular dose, I hope you can stabilize and enjoy your trip to Jamaica, congratulations on graduating from college.  Hopefully when you get back you can begin a slow taper, we can help you get a game plan in place. 

How long do you have until you move out of country?  And as far as symptoms go, we all pretty much blame everything on the benzo's but that doesn't stop us from having tests for everything because these symptoms are so crazy.

Just a tip, alcohol and benzo's affect the same receptors in the brain so using alcohol while tapering and recovering can be tricky, most avoid it because it can really mess things up.

Thanks. I’m moving June 1, so not much time. I’m confident my Dr will give me what I need to taper and if I not he had prescribed me way way way more than I take plus instant release if I have no choice but to taper with the xanax I have after I’m in Canada. I think it may be best to stay on my normal dose until I’m moved. The last thing I need is to have a seizure while driving all the way across the country, or to have a seizure and then not be able to drive for 6 months.

I agree, it would be best to wait until you're settled in because this process can take months and sometimes years.  Seizures are rare, especially when doing a slow taper unless you have a history of them so please worry about this.

I agree, it would be best to wait until you're settled in because this process can take months and sometimes years.  Seizures are rare, especially when doing a slow taper unless you have a history of them so please worry about this.

I don’t have a history of them or anything which is good. I’ve just been reading too many horror stories online, not good for anxiety lol