Important Survey - Please Participate ×

The Long Hold Support Group

[os...]

It's not getting any better. Now at 11 am here, European markets falling by 3‰ and the sp500 and dow futures losing 1.8%. I'm not scared of catching the virus, I'm scared of what it's doing to our money.

Others too like FH, GP too.. I'm sure I'm missing others my brain just can't come up with..

Yoowho people where are you? 👀👀👀

GP is on a cruise.  I think FH is using her blog most days,

Meems posted yesterday.  Intend hasn't posted all week I think  :(

We took our money out of the market the last time it looked like it was going to crash.  We are getting to old to wait for a huge crash to turn around.  And we know who is so reliable  :tickedoff:  we just felt there would be a crash.  So we started stacking cd's, no way to get rich, but you make a little and don't loose any.  What a disaster. 

Mary, while I tapered from 5 to 1 MG before the crash, I went every month to get a 30 5mgs pills prescription. Then in summer every time I went to a new psychiatrist I left with a prescription, just in case. Hence the stash. I think there's more if I count what I carry in my purse and what I've left in a drawer in a toilet bag in case I have an emergency and have to send someone home to get it.

I sure wish I had a couple more months, I am going to ask my Dr if she can give me some extra because of this.  She may say no, but she will understand why I am asking and won't think badly of me or anything.  I am also going to see if I can go every 6 months instead of 3.  Just have to wait and see, it maybe a law saying you have to go every 3 months, I don't know.  But she is very understanding so I am not afraid of having a conversation with her , thank goodness.  Her daughter was an opioid addict, so she understands a lot.  :smitten:

Oh I think it was you, Olive who said all your money is in the stock market.  Mine too.  I didn’t check today but I wonder how much I lost today and most likely will continue to.  In 2008 crash I lost $10K in one day.  And because of a contract clause I can’t touch my stock until June so I don’t think I can move it to cash account.

Oh, that would be stressful Meems, my eye does that too.  It makes driving uncomfortable.  Good for you going to rally!!  Yay Meems.  Now I understand more about your homelife. Hope Maggie is okay♥️

You know, and I am just bringing this up, no suggestion.  A lot of people updose for just 1 day when there is definitely going to be something extra stressful is going on.  Then the next day, right back to your normal schedule.  You can't do it often, just every once in awhile.  :). I have done it once and it worked.  I got through that day much better and right back to my schedule.  I can't even remember now why.  LY 💜

Others too like FH, GP too.. I'm sure I'm missing others my brain just can't come up with..

We took our money out of the market the last time it looked like it was going to crash.  We are getting to old to wait for a huge crash to turn around.  And we know who is so reliable  :tickedoff:  we just felt there would be a crash.  So we started stacking cd's, no way to get rich, but you make a little and don't loose any.  What a disaster.

Mary you were smart! I didn't see it coming. I don't know what "stacking cd's" means but I should learn.

Oh, I googled it. We just call it a deposit here, but we don't have those anymore because the interest in Europe is so low, that banks don't offer deposits anymore. Mary you were smarter than any of us. We have to open a finance thread and next time you can warn us  ;)

While we're all watching our money crash, you're watching yours sit quietly.

Mary you were smart! I didn't see it coming. I don't know what "stacking cd's" means but I should learn.

Basically this is short finance lesson, if you have ten years before you are going to retire, leave your money in the market, you should have time for it to turn around, if not, at start of crash or finance people are getting nervous, get your money out.  When the market got really nervous, a couple years ago, we didn't have 10 years, so we got our money out and put it safe places.  Doesn't make you much money but saves what you do have.  So many people lost so much money in 2008, right as they were going to retire , it was awful.  But then we had time and left it in and made our money back and more, but the last time, the market got wobbly, we got it out.  We still have a few things , I have a 401k we were just talking about to get it out, now we will probably leave it.  That we can risk, of course we wish we didn't have to  :(

Thanks for the advice Mary. Well I won't retire until I'm 67 or more so that gives me 15 more years. Of course I have much less than you but I don't want to lose it. I hope what we're losing now recovers, but who knows how long it'll take  :(

Hi all,

Just here to wish you a symptom low weekend. 

We all worry about lots of things,  but please don't let money  be one of them. And Corona is a joke, compared to what we're going through in our struggle to fight benzos.

I had a nasty cold last week and still am not over it just yet. Doesn't do the benzo issues much good.Hadn't had a cold in years.

Benzo wise still on hold, not doing all that great. Feet numb and legs jelly like. Weird head pressure out of the blue, nausea, exhaustion,  especially mornings are tuff.

Going to have 4 sessions of EMDR therapy,  starting next Wednesday. I hope they'll lessen my anxiety.

Hope to check in again sometime next week.

Stay strong.  :smitten::thumbsup:

Oh, I googled it. We just call it a deposit here, but we don't have those anymore because the interest in Europe is so low, that banks don't offer deposits anymore. Mary you were smarter than any of us. We have to open a finance thread and next time you can warn us  ;)

That's only true up to a point though, if the market rebounds soon, you will keep making money and we won't, so it's not good anyway.  Hopefully, this downturn won't happen as long. 

:). And we aren't hardly making any money on our cds right now, because Trump fussed so about interest rates going up.  >:( >:(.  But, the shame of it all is, so many people can't afford to be in market  :(

Thanks for the advice Mary. Well I won't retire until I'm 67 or more so that gives me 15 more years. Of course I have much less than you but I don't want to lose it. I hope what we're losing now recovers, but who knows how long it'll take  :(

It will Vali, the history of it is a good indicator and you have time.  I know it's scary, we were terrified in 2008.  :smitten:

It will Vali, the history of it is a good indicator and you have time.  I know it's scary, we were terrified in 2008.  :smitten:

I do hope so Mary.

That's only true up to a point though, if the market rebounds soon, you will keep making money and we won't, so it's not good anyway.  Hopefully, this downturn won't happen as long. 

:). And we aren't hardly making any money on our cds right now, because Trump fussed so about interest rates going up.  >:( >:(.  But, the shame of it all is, so many people can't afford to be in market  :(

Mary I did something incredibly stupid, I took more risky positions about one week before the coronavirus crash. Yes, everything was high already but I did because I was very conservative, fearing the crash, and the crash never came (it must have been waiting for me). So I'm banging my head against the wall. What's done is done. Then when the black swan came with the virus, I called the "advisor" and told her to get some gold and she talked me out of it. OK I know we can't swear here so I won't, but you can imagine how angry I am. When all this calms down I'm seriously considering some banking visits.  I know you're hardly making money on your deposits. I know what you mean, we don't know when the markets will rebound or if this is going to become another recession, who knows. I'll tell you that I was listening to Warren Buffet on the radio a few days ago and he has like I don't know how many million dollars in cash, just waiting to find shares of companies cheap enough to buy. So you see, you might be doing a bit the same as Warren Buffet  8). Or maybe it was Soros, I don't remember, I always confuse those two.

Val: I am the same age as you. Honestly, a down market now is good if you are putting money away now. You want to buy low and sell higher. Mary sounds like she did the right thing by getting out as she is retired. But for those of us still saving for retirement, it is better to be lower now.

Hope everyone has a nice weekend. We are celebrating my mom's birthday; she almost died a year ago so thankful she is still with us.

I do hope so Mary.

Me too  :)

Hello people!

I'm sorry about the market my friend's I hope it recovers quickly for all of you. My husband has a 401k but it's a stable income fund. He plays it safe with our money. It's a very good 401k , he's an aircraft mechanic, works on helicopters for the military. Although there is a commercial side to it as well. Thankfully it's a very good 401k so come retirement time for him we'll be in good shape. I just don't want to pay for health insurance. Rich is going to be 63 in April and I'll be 57 in March so we'll have to purchase health insurance for me when he retires in 3 yrs. I don't like that..😏

Love to all,

TT ❤️

quote author=valiumnomore link=topic=153201.msg3047517#msg3047517 date=1582913315]

Trishy I'm so glad your money is invested conservatively in these crazy times. Please keep shopping. The economy needs you more than ever  :laugh:

:2funny:  :2funny: will do V! 😄❤️

Trishy I'm so glad your money is invested conservatively in these crazy times. Please keep shopping. The economy needs you more than ever  :laugh:

:2funny: :2funny:  No worries Vali, the economy is safe with Trishy  :laugh::D

Oh you're funny kids! You'll all be happy to know I was at Target this morning and the grocery store and did a little online shopping.. I'm working on it hang in there! 😂😂

Val: I am the same age as you. Honestly, a down market now is good if you are putting money away now. You want to buy low and sell higher. Mary sounds like she did the right thing by getting out as she is retired. But for those of us still saving for retirement, it is better to be lower now.

Hope everyone has a nice weekend. We are celebrating my mom's birthday; she almost died a year ago so thankful she is still with us.

That's true Vali, there will be real buys out there, we bought Ford in the 2008 and it eventually flew up.  Can your finance person give you some tips when it's time?  Companies you thoughtyou could never afford to buy their stock, will all of sudden be cheap.  Good idea NJ.  I had forgotten that .

NJ, so glad you are celebrating your Mim's birthday, that's great  :balloon: :balloon: :clap:

Oh you're funny kids! You'll all be happy to know I was at Target this morning and the grocery store and did a little online shopping.. I'm working on it hang in there! 😂😂

We should all overponderate Target in our portfolios immediately then  :laugh:

I bought a couple things off Amazon but I will just be Trishy's backup.    :laugh: :laugh:

We should all overponderate Target in our portfolios immediately then  :laugh:

:2funny:  :2funny: don't jump on Target yet V..I like to spread the wealth 😉  :laugh:

[3f...]