Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Success stories and recoveries from sensory overload

[Se...]

So I am obviously getting ultra triggered by this symptom 😒 I am a big fan of music which is also a side gig (I mix on the side) and I can't listen to anything (or watch anything) without getting adrenaline dumps and tension headaches just above my ears and back too. Idk if it's the sensorial stimulation or the emotional stimulation. It's like I get mental fatigue and have trouble following afterwards.

In order not to spiral and go down the sad story rabbit hole (or end up diagnosing myself with 9241984 other illnesses), I would LOVE to hear back from bbs who had this symptom and noticed improvement and their timelines (I know I know.. each person has their own timeline, but a girl can still dream)

Cheers x

p.s. my therapist keeps saying it's anxiety induced and pushing SSRIs on me but I think there is more to it tbh

I'm a success story, I quit cold turkey and experienced what you are and I've been recovered for a long time.  I couldn't watch TV but when I finally could it was only really mellow stuff like cooking shows but not the competitions and music I'm sorry to say was a casualty as well.  I went to the symphony during my misery and had to leave and go sit in the lobby, I mean classical music, who can't handle that?  But as time wore on my brain started figuring things out and my tolerance began to improve.

I know you're probably thinking all is lost, this is what the drug does to us, it LIES, so please don't give up, you're going to recover and your passion for music will be intact. 

P.S. Your therapist is wrong, you don't need more drugs, your brain needs to repair the damage done by drugs.  ;)

I could t watch tv or listen to music for about a year it was too much for me. Some heal faster, others take longer but eventually we all get better and this symptom will go away for you too. I hope sooner rather than later. When I stopped fighting it and accepted that I’m sensitive to light and sound, it got better because I stopped forcing trying to watch tv or listen to music.

I think we all have had sensory overload in this journey....our receptors can only process so much and things get distorted. It actually causes stress on our system, and thats why symptoms kick up. This does go away.

When I could start to watch tv again I lived off of cooking shows, home improvement shows, and rainforest sounds on you tube videos. Music I def had to keep mellow, melodic. No heavy bass or techno beats for sure! And I love music and I love to dance.

I am now able to play music in the car on my way to work and sing and dance to it again. Had a good time at a wedding back in October too. I had to take breaks but i made sure to be a part of the dance floor:)

Give it time)