Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Can't eat need help bad!

[Na...]

I have posted before that I am having trouble with eating. It's not that I just can't eat but I get NO apposite and when I think about food I get nausea and anxiety bad and start gagging!

I am seeing a new psychiatrist who is wanting to add on more and more drugs. She says I am not stable, but will I get stable on these drugs?  She now has me taking 2.5mg olanzapine (zyprexa) and also wants me taking 500mg of Depakote. Both these drugs require a taper too and not sure at 61 years old I want to taper the rest of my life! I am already post taper on 22mg mirtazapine, which does nothing for me due to being on it the third time I believe I have tolerance to it, this new doctor also told me to just stop the mirtazapine suitor a taper saying it's just an antidepressant! I also take propranolol post taper. All these are drugs that will require another taper.

I only took the Depakote twice and am waiting until I see her next week and discuss all this with her. I feel she is putting me on these 2 new drugs to add weight to me but at what cost down the road. I just want to continue with my clonazepam taper.

I really need HELP on figuring out how to eat so I don't need the olanzapine or depakote! How can I build up an appetite, I can actually go a couple days without feeling hungry?

I can't seem to eat anything dry. Any suggestions, recipes. Smoothies anything?

I have had gi issues such as gerd, esophageal sphincter closure, early saiety  for a long time oh and chronic nausea tried me on PPI which caused bad anxiety so can't take.

Help!

I'm a bit reluctant to mention this but marijuana has long been known to be an appetite stimulant and the nice thing about it is you don't have to taper off it :

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/19367510/

But I know you have had the problem with your appetite for quite a while and have had significant weight loss (if I recall correctly) so even though you don't want to do anything further such as other medications, sometimes we have do things in the short-term for long-term gain.  Zyprexa causes weight gain also.

I'm a bit reluctant to mention this but marijuana has long been known to be an appetite stimulant and the nice thing about it is you don't have to taper off it :

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/19367510/

But I know you have had the problem with your appetite for quite a while and have had significant weight loss (if I recall correctly) so even though you don't want to do anything further such as other medications, sometimes we have do things in the short-term for long-term gain.  Zyprexa causes weight gain also.

I am 61 and have been smoking for a long time but I don't really get hungry from it like most. I wish it would help with eating and sleeping.

I'm just getting worried that originally I was only taking the clonazepam and mirtazapine, now I'm on them plus propranolol  (post  taper) and if I let bet add in these drugs that's 2 more I have to taper off of!  I took the Depakote for a few days but waiting to talk to her to see why I'm on it. Not liking this new psychiatrist, especially when she told me to just quit the mirtazapine saying is just an antidepressant. She wanted me to just stop them, I ended up taking a 7.5mg cut from 22mg and have regretted it all week. I'm supposed to be getting off the benzo. She told me to stop my taper off the clonazepam until I'm more stable, but I don't want to get stable at the expense of more meds..if I can go on these other drugs for a short time it might be worth it, I don't know. I'm just getting really confused as what to do and it's just causing a lot of anxiety.

There's a big part of me that says just go back to my benzo taper without adding anymore drugs. I know my weight is a big issue but I don't think God will let me starve.

Can I ask what your opinion is?

I have posted before that I am having trouble with eating. It's not that I just can't eat but I get NO apposite and when I think about food I get nausea and anxiety bad and start gagging!

I am seeing a new psychiatrist who is wanting to add on more and more drugs. She says I am not stable, but will I get stable on these drugs?  She now has me taking 2.5mg olanzapine (zyprexa) and also wants me taking 500mg of Depakote. Both these drugs require a taper too and not sure at 61 years old I want to taper the rest of my life! I am already post taper on 22mg mirtazapine, which does nothing for me due to being on it the third time I believe I have tolerance to it, this new doctor also told me to just stop the mirtazapine suitor a taper saying it's just an antidepressant! I also take propranolol post taper. All these are drugs that will require another taper.

I only took the Depakote twice and am waiting until I see her next week and discuss all this with her. I feel she is putting me on these 2 new drugs to add went to me but at what cost down the road. I just want to continue with my clonazepam taper.

I really need HELP on figuring out how to eat so I don't need the olanzapine or depakote! How can I build up an appetite, I can actually go a couple days without feeling hungry?

I can't seem to eat anything dry. Any suggestions, recipes. Smoothies anything?

I have had gi issues such as gerd, esophageal sphincter closure, early saiety  for a long time oh and chronic nausea tried me on PPI which caused bad anxiety so can't take.

Help!

She did what most psych docs do; toss more medications at you. An anti seizure medication and an antipsychotic. Unfortunately this is all too typical and personally, if I was in your place I would refuse them. The side effects of the antipsychotic alone are pretty bad. I don’t know why they seem to like putting people on antipsychotic drugs so much, but they are way overprescribed. I’m not denying that antipsychotic drugs have a place but I don’t see any reason for her to prescribe it if you are not in psychosis, and that doesn’t seem to be the case at all. I have no trust in the psychiatric industry anymore, but I digress.

As for appetite, smoothies are really good when you feel like you just can’t eat. Even nutritional shakes, like Ensure or others along those lines can be really helpful. Nutriment shakes are high calorie and have vitamins. The vanilla is the best flavor, in my opinion. Can you do soup? Full fat yogurt? Also, Bolthouse Farms makes pre made smoothie drinks in different flavors and individual sizes and bigger bottles. A lot of people do liquid diets for a while. It’s definitely a better alternative than loading up on heavy psych drugs just to try to eat, and the irony is that the side effects of those drugs are upset stomach, amongst other unfavorable things. If you have a blender you can make smoothies all day and the best thing is that you can customize them to your tastes. Protein is important, so I’d get a protein powder to add to them, or sometimes you can use Greek yogurt or peanut butter or nuts added. If you google smoothie recipes you will find so many good recipes. If you don’t have the energy to make smoothies, maybe try some of the other things I mentioned? I don’t do dairy anymore so I have been drinking these Orgain drinks daily. They also have other types as well as protein powder, and regular whey based products. https://orgain.com/products/20g-plant-based-protein-shake (Just a link to their site, not affiliated with them)

I hope this helps you some, and as someone who also suffers from gastro issues and nausea, I understand that feeling and it’s awful, and I hope you are able to find some relief.

I think they feel if they don't prescribe meds they aren't doing their job!  Read an article the other day said if a psychiatrist doesn't write prescriptions they don't get paid. I really don't want any more meds as I'm having a hard enough time trailering off clonazepam.

You made some good points and suggestions. I have been doing ensures but lately they seem to get my anxiety going but it doesn't last to long so may be worth it. I was doing ones with 350 calories. I do have a problem with milk if I drink to much so I sick with lactose free. I think I am going to try and do the weight thing on my own without more drugs, that's what got me where I am! 

Did you do protein smoothies during your taper and did you find yourself having issues with the nutrients or like ensure the high sugar in them?

Thank you for your help

hi nana, have you seen another psychiatrist for a second opinion on how to taper effectively while making clear that you wish to not add additional drugs? another psychiatrist might offer you a better methodology or medications that aren't as harsh, i.e., drugs not in the antipsychotic/atypical antipsychotic class, unless they are truly warranted.

cyproheptadine is an antihistamine that shares some properties with mirtazapine and is prescribed sometimes for increasing weight due to lack of appetite.

that said, i don't know your medical history or why your physician thinks that olanzapine and depakote are warranted, so the best advice i can give is to see another physician for a second opinion, preferably one who is well-versed on tapering psychotropics or minimising polypharmacy.

Another option might be an elemental diet.  It involves using completely predigested, high calorie meal replacement shakes. If you find a high quality brand, they are much more healthy than Ensure and the like.  It can be rather expensive, but it does help people to get enough nutrients to gain weight. 

hi nana, have you seen another psychiatrist for a second opinion on how to taper effectively while making clear that you wish to not add additional drugs? another psychiatrist might offer you a better methodology or medications that aren't as harsh, i.e., drugs not in the antipsychotic/atypical antipsychotic class, unless they are truly warranted.

cyproheptadine is an antihistamine that shares some properties with mirtazapine and is prescribed sometimes for increasing weight due to lack of appetite.

that said, i don't know your medical history or why your physician thinks that olanzapine and depakote are warranted, so the best advice i can give is to see another physician for a second opinion, preferably one who is well-versed on tapering psychotropics or minimising polypharmacy.

This is great advice. 

Olanzipine will help appetite and promote sleep. And 2.5mgs is a miniscule dose. It will help you put weight back on. Don't worry about future tapers. Get yourself feeling better.

Olanzipine will help appetite and promote sleep. And 2.5mgs is a miniscule dose. It will help you put weight back on. Don't worry about future tapers. Get yourself feeling better.

without knowing her medical/psychiatric history at all, i can say that i understand her concerns given that at several points during various periods of my life i was thrown medications and took them without questioning what they were being prescribed for or how they might interact with medications already being taken. knowing that i must take medication for psychiatric illness is a reality that i have accepted to live as a productive member of society, but minimising/simplifying the cocktail taken is imperative for me. tapering certain medications is certainly more difficult for some than others and she might be better as i stated above consulting with an experienced psychiatrist or psychopharmacologist who is well-versed in reducing polypharmacy and psychologically safe medication tapering.

my immediate thought is why, unless she is bipolar or schizophrenic/schizoaffective, would she be placed on olanzapine without trying to increase mirtazapine first? if this has already been done, and i think in her case it has, then why not eliminate mirtazapine when prescribing olanzapine? i may see rationale behind the prescription of depakote/valproic acid because there have been some favourable studies showing that it can ease benzodiazepine withdrawal symptoms, but this all needs to be clarified as depakote isn't an easy drug for a lot of people to taper either.

essentially, i think the core concern of hers (and it would certainly be mine) is that she is trading one chemical dependency for another that may very well be extremely difficult to taper down the line.

at the moment, reading through her posts shows extreme instability, notably with the inability to eat much due to nausea. zofran/ondansetron may be the answer here along with the addition of cyproheptadine if mirtazapine fails to increase appetite. take this with a grain of salt as i'm no physician and i don't know her complete medical history, but this is how i would speak to my physician about easing suffering.

if those fail, then updosing the benzodiazapine some to stabilize might be another option worth considering and then reevaluating the taper plan to slow down the process significantly.

all in all, i think she's best off gaining a second opinion from a physician who will listen to her concerns.

without knowing her medical/psychiatric history at all, i can say that i understand her concerns given that at several points during various periods of my life i was thrown medications and took them without questioning what they were being prescribed for or how they might interact with medications already being taken. knowing that i must take medication for psychiatric illness is a reality that i have accepted to live as a productive member of society, but minimising/simplifying the cocktail taken is imperative for me. tapering certain medications is certainly more difficult for some than others and she might be better as i stated above consulting with an experienced psychiatrist or psychopharmacologist who is well-versed in reducing polypharmacy and psychologically safe medication tapering.

my immediate thought is why, unless she is bipolar or schizophrenic/schizoaffective, would she be placed on olanzapine without trying to increase mirtazapine first? if this has already been done, and i think in her case it has, then why not eliminate mirtazapine when prescribing olanzapine? i may see rationale behind the prescription of depakote/valproic acid because there have been some favourable studies showing that it can ease benzodiazepine withdrawal symptoms, but this all needs to be clarified as depakote isn't an easy drug for a lot of people to taper either.

essentially, i think the core concern of hers (and it would certainly be mine) is that she is trading one chemical dependency for another that may very well be extremely difficult to taper down the line.

at the moment, reading through her posts shows extreme instability, notably with the inability to eat much due to nausea. zofran/ondansetron may be the answer here along with the addition of cyproheptadine if mirtazapine fails to increase appetite. take this with a grain of salt as i'm no physician and i don't know her complete medical history, but this is how i would speak to my physician about easing suffering.

if those fail, then updosing the benzodiazapine some to stabilize might be another option worth considering and then reevaluating the taper plan to slow down the process significantly.

all in all, i think she's best off gaining a second opinion from a physician who will listen to her concerns.

For reasons that are mysterious to me she has been trying to get off of mirt. The best sleep appetite med for bezo sufferers imo

Another option might be an elemental diet.  It involves using completely predigested, high calorie meal replacement shakes. If you find a high quality brand, they are much more healthy than Ensure and the like.  It can be rather expensive, but it does help people to get enough nutrients to gain weight.

Do you have any specific brands you can suggest? I bought some ensures but they have so much sugar in the 350 calorie version.

For reasons that are mysterious to me she has been trying to get off of mirt. The best sleep appetite med for bezo sufferers imo

The mirtazapine is doing nothing for me! This makes the third time on it and I have built a tolerance to it.

The mirtazapine is doing nothing for me! This makes the third time on it and I have built a tolerance to it.

if it truly is doing nothing for you, have you told your prescribing physician? like, why would you take something that isn't benefiting you?

Do you have any specific brands you can suggest? I bought some ensures but they have so much sugar in the 350 calorie version.

There's one called Elemental Heal that seems pretty high quality.  And if you can get a doctor's prescription, Physicians Elemental Diet looks really good.  It's used to help people with Crohn's to go into remission and gain weight.  Without a prescription, though, it's really expensive. 

It can be hard to know the benefit of something until you are off it.

i agree with this, which is why i'm confused as to why her physician didn't increase her mirtazapine dosage first instead of adding olanzapine to it. there is some pharmacological overlap there, so i'd think that olanzapine would cover the intended prescribed purposes of mirtazapine but only the prescribing doctor knows the rationale and perhaps nanaquits if she was explicitly told and/or asked and was given an answer.

mirtazapine is a damn good drug if you don't gain weight on it or only gain minimal amounts. i do, so i'm on a small amount of hydroxyzine which does help, although not as well as mirtazapine.

i agree with this, which is why i'm confused as to why her physician didn't increase her mirtazapine dosage first instead of adding olanzapine to it. there is some pharmacological overlap there, so i'd think that olanzapine would cover the intended prescribed purposes of mirtazapine but only the prescribing doctor knows the rationale and perhaps nanaquits if she was explicitly told and/or asked and was given an answer.

mirtazapine is a damn good drug if you don't gain weight on it or only gain minimal amounts. i do, so i'm on a small amount of hydroxyzine which does help, although not as well as mirtazapine.

I believe that Nanaquits said that mirtazapine is doing nothing for her, and she has been on it previously with increased doses. I have never been on mirtazapine but calling it a “damn good drug” is just, wow… ::) From posts that I have seen on here I’m sure there’s some who would beg to differ. I’m going on a limb here but I’m guessing that the OP isn’t finding it to be a “damn good drug”, either.

right. speaking from personal experience alone, i find it to be a damn good drug save for the weight gain and i'd be on it if it weren't for that. important to note that many people who take benzodiazepines also would describe their experiences as positive. while i'm unsure of exact statistics, there are many who are on mostly long-acting bzds for various anxiety disorders long-term with continued benefit. everyone responds differently to various pharmacological substances. i responded well to mirtazapine and so do a number of others. it's a very personal decision to try to wean off of a drug if one deems it unnecessary but the physician deems it necessary and there needs to be clear communication on why it's being kept on when it's ostensibly not working and increased polypharmacy comes into play as is the case with her.

i mentioned earlier that i also realise that nanaquits has trialed mirtazapine a number of times to no avail which is why i questioned the rationale behind being kept on mirtazapine while introducing olanzapine. read through my posts, please.

I believe that Nanaquits said that mirtazapine is doing nothing for her, and she has been on it previously with increased doses. I have never been on mirtazapine but calling it a “damn good drug” is just, wow… ::) From posts that I have seen on here I’m sure there’s some who would beg to differ. I’m going on a limb here but I’m guessing that the OP isn’t finding it to be a “damn good drug”, either.

right. speaking from personal experience alone, i find it to be a damn good drug save for the weight gain and i'd be on it if it weren't for that. important to note that many people who take benzodiazepines also would describe their experiences as positive. while i'm unsure of exact statistics, there are many who are on mostly long-acting bzds for various anxiety disorders long-term with continued benefit. everyone responds differently to various pharmacological substances. i responded well to mirtazapine and so do a number of others. it's a very personal decision to try to wean off of a drug if one deems it unnecessary but the physician deems it necessary and there needs to be clear communication on why it's being kept on when it's ostensibly not working and increased polypharmacy comes into play as is the case with her.

i mentioned earlier that i also realise that nanaquits has trialed mirtazapine a number of times to no avail which is why i questioned the rationale behind being kept on mirtazapine while introducing olanzapine. read through my posts, please.

She wanted me to just stop the mirtazapine and I was at 22mg! I am supposed to be working on getting off my benzo but doc says I am not stable enough to continue taper until I can eat because I am not only losing weight  but a lot of muscle mass. I am 5'4 and current weight is 98. I planned on getting off the mirtazapine after finishing my benzo taper but she feels I need to come off it first. Today I meet with her and told her I haven't had any increase in appetite so she wants me to up the olanzapine to 5mg.not sure I want to do that but I'm at the point if it makes me eat go for it. I am tired of forcing myself to eat what little I do and what calories I do get are usually liquid.

Told her I want to hold the mirtazapine where is at for now. She doesn't think I'm ready yet to continue taper until I can put on some weight. Not sure I agree with everything she is doing.

at times when i was absolutely not hungry during my lyrica taper but knew that i needed to get something down, i resorted to drinking ensure. i know that you are nauseated, so perhaps the antiemetic zofran might really help the nausea. you could ask your doctor what he/she thinks about that.

edit: if you are prescribed an antiemetic like zofran (ondansetron) and it does help enough so that you can eat, you might want to then discuss removing the atypical antipsychotic because those can be difficult for some to get off of. just a thought to bring up with your doctor - or another physician if you choose to gain a  second opinion because it doesn't sound like are very happy with how your current physician is approaching your difficulties.

i realize, however, that both mirtazapine and olanzapine are notorious for weight gain, so i can see why the physician would think they'd help, but if they aren't at all, then trying an antinausea drug like ondansetron while removing olanzapine might be worthwhile. it really depends on what exactly is keeping you from eating - the nausea/gagging, the lack of appetite, or a combination of both. i would agree with you in that you can't eat at all, then you need to take the medications temporarily that will allow you to eat and not lose further weight given that you are at quite an unhealthy  weight right now. do you think that checking into a hospital might benefit you? even an outpatient partial hospitalization program so you aren't in the psych ward which i would imagine would frighten a lot of us going through bzd withdrawal?

you can do this! i'm rooting for you!

I think Zyprexa is really more for voices and positive symptoms for bipolar and schizophrenics in most cases.

Normal or weak chemistry could cause problems with anxiety and low mood.

Seroquel acts more like offlabel  mood stabilizer

Else i heard good things about setraline+zyprexa, atleast for bipolar

I say this with alot of hesitation  but perhaps your one of them who needs a more loose limit benzoes(can always taper bigger in the start when time is right). while you get your basic treatment better or sorted out.

This is just from a guy have being tossed around like you on meds.

Get a better doctor, maybe someone who doest want to see you on more drugs or atleast not say coldturkey SRRI np

Maybe some resturant food or oatmeal?

I had trouble with eating and gaining weight in withdrawal. These are the things that helped to get food into my body and the more I did them, the more appetite I got. But it seemed as if my body had to be given the nutrients first and the stomach had to grow a bit as we say here.

- having oatmeal, pudding or anything a baby would eat in each room. Any time you enter the room eat 2-3 spoons no matter what

- finding a physical therapist who can help you to get rid of a tight diaphragm, stretching the heart/stomach area

- there are drinks with nutrients and high amount of calories which you can drink. Only 100 milligram deliver a lot. Also drinks with protein or fats, depending what you need.

- Smoothies. I could drink a lot but not eat. It was ridiculous but in the end I would put a hole meal into a smoothie maker and swallow it.

- warm food instead of cold food, regarding the traditional old medicine

- stretching the stomach just by putting liters of food, water, soup etc into is important

- seeing food as important act to get nutrients and not focus on appetite was important. I also had reminders and a clock on my watch telling me to eat.

- I cannot recommend any of these meds as you can see I was polydrugged and every med was hell for me. In my eyes it is not possible to have a normal eating pattern/appetite under those meds. Either you loose the appetite or you develop a hunger for bad food.

if it truly is doing nothing for you, have you told your prescribing physician? like, why would you take something that isn't benefiting you?

Didn't want to taper benzo and mirtazapine at the same time. New psychiatrist told me to just quit the 22mg of mirtazapine saying it would be fine, but I have gotten off this drug last year and lost 10 pounds which I can't afford to lose right now. I think I'm stuck on the mirtazapine until I'm done with benzo taper.

Didn't want to taper benzo and mirtazapine at the same time. New psychiatrist told me to just quit the 22mg of mirtazapine saying it would be fine, but I have gotten off this drug last year and lost 10 pounds which I can't afford to lose right now. I think I'm stuck on the mirtazapine until I'm done with benzo taper.

that's very understandable. i'm trying to reduce two medications right now knowing that it won't go well, and surprise! it's not going well.

I think Zyprexa is really more for voices and positive symptoms for bipolar and schizophrenics in most cases.

Normal or weak chemistry could cause problems with anxiety and low mood.

Seroquel acts more like offlabel  mood stabilizer

Else i heard good things about setraline+zyprexa, atleast for bipolar

I say this with alot of hesitation  but perhaps your one of them who needs a more loose limit benzoes(can always taper bigger in the start when time is right). while you get your basic treatment better or sorted out.

This is just from a guy have being tossed around like you on meds.

Get a better doctor, maybe someone who doest want to see you on more drugs or atleast not say coldturkey SRRI np

Maybe some resturant food or oatmeal?

Seems like the last two psychiatrists want to keep adding more drugs!  Before I figured out what was going on worth me, thought I had dementia or something, seen doctor after doctor trying to figure out why I couldn't function all of a sudden. Thanks to sites like this I figured out that being so sick the last year and a half was because of tolerance withdrawal.

Before I knew that I couldn't figure out why all of a sudden I developed agoraphobia, severe anxiety even though I was taking my benzo,loss of appetite, can't drive, cook this all seemed to happen within days august 2020.

I went on propranolol before I knew any of this was from the benzo and got talked into going back on mirtazapine knowing I had built a tolerance to that too. Now it seems like they want to add more and more drugs. The bottle of Zyprexa sat in my drawer for a long time because of reading up on it I didn't want to take it, finally agreed to a low dose to see if it would help me eat but been on it 2 weeks and my appetite isn't any better! I just know when I start my clonazepam taper back up the appetite will get worse and the idea of a feeding tube scares me.

I JUST WANT OF ALL THESE DRUGS. ..NOT TAKE MORE!

I had trouble with eating and gaining weight in withdrawal. These are the things that helped to get food into my body and the more I did them, the more appetite I got. But it seemed as if my body had to be given the nutrients first and the stomach had to grow a bit as we say here.

- having oatmeal, pudding or anything a baby would eat in each room. Any time you enter the room eat 2-3 spoons no matter what

- finding a physical therapist who can help you to get rid of a tight diaphragm, stretching the heart/stomach area

- there are drinks with nutrients and high amount of calories which you can drink. Only 100 milligram deliver a lot. Also drinks with protein or fats, depending what you need.

- Smoothies. I could drink a lot but not eat. It was ridiculous but in the end I would put a hole meal into a smoothie maker and swallow it.

- warm food instead of cold food, regarding the traditional old medicine

- stretching the stomach just by putting liters of food, water, soup etc into is important

- seeing food as important act to get nutrients and not focus on appetite was important. I also had reminders and a clock on my watch telling me to eat.

- I cannot recommend any of these meds as you can see I was polydrugged and every med was hell for me. In my eyes it is not possible to have a normal eating pattern/appetite under those meds. Either you loose the appetite or you develop a hunger for bad food.

Thank you so much for the recommendations!  I'm getting to wear chewing food is hard but I can drink smoothies okay. Going to look up a bunch of recipes for smoothies. I all of a sudden can't eat dry foods. I don't want to be on meds  for this but it was getting bad. Not sure I'm going to stay on the Zyprexa and just try and do the best I can.

If you have any good smoothie recipes I would that you can share would be great.

I am 61 and losing so much muscle and weight my body looks so sad and just looks so bad. My upper arms are just wrinkled.