Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Worried about tooth extraction (meds)

[Gr...]

I'm 16 months out and have to have a tooth extracted next week. I'm terrified about the kind of medication they're going to have to give me. If any of you here have had a tooth extracted during taper or post withdrawal, could you please tell me your experience with it?

Grandma,

I had to have oral surgery done for an infection from a root canal and it was quite extensive. What I had them use was carbocaine instead of Novacane. Carbocaine does not have epinephrine in it. I know some people are more sensitive to some things than others. I'm a very sensitive person but for me it went well. The only thing is carbocaine doesn't last as long as novocaine and you might need more than one or two shots. My surgery took a while he ended up giving me about 5 shots. I think an extraction would go much quicker. Wishing you all the best. Hugs!

LiveLife

I just had Carbocaine which is the numbing medication without epinephrine in it. Mine was rough because it was tooth with a root canal and crown, so it took 15-20 mins. Afterwards it took a long time to heal. A good 6-8 weeks and a full year got my gum tissue to not be tender. I had mine pulled last March.

DO NOT use anything with epinephrine.

I am one of the unlucky ones that reacts to seemingly all meds. I did not do well with carbocaina and could feel it going bad. But then I got the epinephrine and it was soooo much worse. Work did not get done the day on my teeth. I did have a setback. But I have recovered from it so that is the good news.

On May 2, I will have to have the extraction done and my only option will be to be put out for it. The are hoping this will be bette for me as I have to have 2 teeth done. I do have my concerns, but after much discussion I do not have any other option. So I will move forward and deal with whatever happens. I can't live in fear anymore. It is what it is.

I hope you  have a much better experience. Many ppl do. I just wanted to write to say that if something reacts you will recover from it bc I did.

Thanks Trina,  I am having the Carbocaine without epinephrine.  As you say, can't keep living in fear. I was doing pretty well today, but laying here in the dark feeling the fear creep in. Its true that we can all be so sensitive to many different things so I hope tomorrow goes well. Praying a better time for you when you have it done in May.