Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Shot myself in the foot

[It...]

I'm feeling so frustrated and disheartened and honestly terrified in a sense.

My old dentist has been "watching" a bad filling I had from over 10 years ago. I also had another tooth that we knew would inevitably need to be filled but he wasn't rushed to do so at this point. I was due for a check up and cleaning so I did the research and found a great dentist in my city that uses lazer technology so that I could also avoid the local anesthetic as no freezing is needed. I go see this new dentist on Saturday and find out that both molars that I suspected would have issues have massive deep cavities in them. Thankfully he filled them using the lazer and I was on my way within 30 minutes. The only thing is, I'm having jaw/tooth pain. I can't even say that it's localized to the exact tooth but more so my jaw by it (both teeth that were filled were the upper and lower most back ones). The discomfort comes and goes and when I called the office to ask if this was normal was told it could last a few weeks as the filling was large, deep and near the nerve.

I'm now having ear pain on that side which is so incredibly distressing to me - this ear pain has been a semi common symtpom for me since the beginning of my setback 6 months ago and everytime it pops up it has me absolutely spiraling. I have so much fear of needing an antibiotic and ending up back in the insane hell I was in 6 months ago I honestly don't even know how to process or cope with it some times.

I was trying to be proactive, I was trying to avoid a root canal, or infection and I knew if I acted now that chances of them being able to use the lazer and avoid any local anesthetic was very high. But now I'm wishing I wouldn't have gone. Why am I having this jaw and ear pain? Has anyone else ever had this after a filling and it wasn't an issue? What happens if something went wrong and I need more work, or even worse somehow it causes an infection. I'm so afraid of medications. I literally feel like by trying to be proactive and protect my healing the best way that I could that ive shot myself in the foot. I don't even know how to differentiate what's WD and what's a possible issue with these new fillings. I'm absolutely spiraling over this, I can't do another setback not with how absolutely insane and brutal this one was.  :'( :'( :'(

It sounds like you made the best decision you could at the time so I hope you can let go of beating yourself up.  You even managed to find a dentist that does work by lazer which is pretty impressive.  I'm glad you called the dentist's office and ran it by them.  Nerves can take longer to heal than other areas of the body so if that is what the issue it so if a nerve has gotten irritated, then their estimate of things is likely right.  I had nerve pain/numbness following a deep filling but it was thought to be caused by injection of the anesthetic that took 2-3 months to clear up.

It sounds like you made the best decision you could at the time so I hope you can let go of beating yourself up.  You even managed to find a dentist that does work by lazer which is pretty impressive.  I'm glad you called the dentist's office and ran it by them.  Nerves can take longer to heal than other areas of the body so if that is what the issue it so if a nerve has gotten irritated, then their estimate of things is likely right.  I had nerve pain/numbness following a deep filling but it was thought to be caused by injection of the anesthetic that took 2-3 months to clear up.

Hi Kate,

Thank you for validating my thoughts and feelings on going into the dentist proactively instead of just leaving it. Part of me feels so stupid now for thinking this was the "better" option, so I appreciate having an outside source validate that I wasn't thinking completely irrationally.

Thank you for sharing your experience with an irritated nerve, that does help. The most challenging part through all of this for me is differentiating what a WD symptom that's flared up and what's related to the dental work. I'll leave it the few weeks that's the dentists suggested and pray that it clears up over that time period.

I really do appreciate your reassurance and kindness  :smitten:

your lucky your laser guy was open to doing your deep filling with a laser. The solea laser pp in my area won't touch my "deep" filling replacement/cavity, and bc I can't tolerate locals its going to have to be extracted in less than a month. :(

But....I had oral pain after my last dentist visit. It takes a couple weeks to go - so weird. Infection can typically also have swelling ,pain, feel hot. if your worried get some lab work done and see what your WBC count is for peace of mind.

your lucky your laser guy was open to doing your deep filling with a laser. The solea laser pp in my area won't touch my "deep" filling replacement/cavity, and bc I can't tolerate locals its going to have to be extracted in less than a month. :(

But....I had oral pain after my last dentist visit. It takes a couple weeks to go - so weird. Infection can typically also have swelling ,pain, feel hot. if your worried get some lab work done and see what your WBC count is for peace of mind.

Trina,

Thank you for your response, thankfully the pain and discomfort is gone today so it must have just been a bit of an irritated nerve/maybe some benzo symptom flare up (my ear for example).

I'm sorry that they wont touch yours! That's incredibly frustrating, mine wasn't in need of a root canal yet but he did say that it was very big and deep. Are you thinking that you're just going to have that tooth pulled now instead? I'm sorry this is something you are going through!!!

Don’t be scared! I had a filling zone without anything too and then nerve got irritated and for almost 2

month I had cheek pain and ear feeling full ish and it was all due to an irritated nerve in that side and in time it went away. I utilized my turmeric tincture more often then also.