Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Trying to get off the Klonopin

[47...]

[47...]
Joining because I need support, I've been taking Ativan 0.5mg once a day for 10 years, and recently switched to 0.5mg Klonopin once a day. (All doctor prescribed). Not a huge dose, but enough to be addicted.  At this point I haven't started a taper, and was hoping to see if I can do the longer acting diazepam taper to soften the blow.  Fwiw, I'm 58.

Hello seafull12, welcome to BenzoBuddies,

Why did you switch to Klonopin, were you experiencing interdose withdrawal on the shorter acting Ativan, I'm also wondering why your doctor doubled your dose, were you experiencing tolerance to the .5 mgs Ativan?

Valium is longer acting but many can taper directly from Klonopin since it's half life is fairly decent but we can help you figure out what to do.

I'll provide some links to get you started but please ask questions, we're here to help.

Pamster

The Ashton Manual

Planning Your Withdrawal (Taper)

Withdrawal Support (during your taper)

[47...]

Probably tolerance as well as interdose withdrawal.  I had a super panic attack that the .5 Ativan dose didn't touch, so I went to the ER where I was given 1mg Klonopin, which worked.

After followup with my psychiatrist, I was changed from 30 0.5 Ativan a month to 25 0.5 Klonopin a month. 

It seems like -maybe- I'll need another doctor for a proper taper.

Its really tough to find doctors who understand what we need but if this doctor is willing to prescribe, you can do this on your own with our help.  About switching to Valium, a lot of doctors are hesitant to prescribe it, they'll call it a dirty drug or they say they don't want to prescribe two benzo's at the same time for the slow crossover.  If you're truly interested in crossing to Valium it would be a good idea to find a doctor before making too many plans.

Here is the tool I used to compare the strength of the two medications.  https://clincalc.com/Benzodiazepine/