Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

When is it safe to try Zoloft ? I can’t have this anxiety and intrusive thoughts

[Mi...]

Hi ,

Now about 40 days cold turkey I would (5 day detox at facility) - I can’t handle the thoughts , anxiety etc.. when is it safe to introduce a SSRI?? I was hoping it would help- I know we are healing but don’t know if I would go into protracted or post withdraw yet?? Because of severe symptoms I think docs keep saying I a post acute withdrawl ? pAWS does this mean I would not heal soon- Help any thoughts for surviving this or about SSRI while healing one month in ..

Thanks

Hi ,

Now about 40 days cold turkey I would (5 day detox at facility) - I can’t handle the thoughts , anxiety etc.. when is it safe to introduce a SSRI?? I was hoping it would help- I know we are healing but don’t know if I would go into protracted or post withdraw yet?? Because of severe symptoms I think docs keep saying I a post acute withdrawl ? pAWS does this mean I would not heal soon- Help any thoughts for surviving this or about SSRI while healing one month in ..

Thanks

You are still in Acute. It varies from person to person, some lucky people don't have any withdrawal. But as a general rule Acute is around 3 months, Followed by PAWS which can last in the region of 18 to 24 months. If your symptoms persist after this you are considered protracted.

I wouldn't consider trying an SSRI this early personally. Your CNS will be in shock from your detox, and SSRI's can be stimulating, and make things worse. I know the need to try something, and I did just that, and made it worse. But I can't tell you what to do it's your body.

From what you've said about your doctor in a few threads I think he's pretty clueless to be honest, so if you do decide you need to try something don't take the dose he tells you to. Been there done that and it put me in a worse hell, bed ridden in torment. You will need to try a tiny fraction of the dose because as I said you will be sensitive. But again personally I wouldn't take anything this early. I know you don't want to hear this but 40 days is not long at all in Benzo WD

Thank you- he is a really doctor but doesn’t know much about withdrawl issues I believe - he does not want me I anything at all and flounder about Gabapentin but I begged - the hyddroczine was given from detox facility for anxiety and he said to use that but did not do much.  I am struggle because afraid of psychosis ? Manic? I do want to go to a psych hospital - I am afraid to be put on more meds if this happens - I am thinking daily about the horror of that happening and do know what to do if it does .. any thoughts ??

quote author=Having a mare link=topic=267169.msg3363765#msg3363765 date=1649178831]

Hi ,

Thanks

You are still in Acute. It varies from person to person, some lucky people don't have any withdrawal. But as a general rule Acute is around 3 months, Followed by PAWS which can last in the region of 18 to 24 months. If your symptoms persist after this you are considered protracted.

I wouldn't consider trying an SSRI this early personally. Your CNS will be in shock from your detox, and SSRI's can be stimulating, and make things worse. I know the need to try something, and I did just that, and made it worse. But I can't tell you what to do it's your body.

From what you've said about your doctor in a few threads I think he's pretty clueless to be honest, so if you do decide you need to try something don't take the dose he tells you to. Been there done that and it put me in a worse hell, bed ridden in torment. You will need to try a tiny fraction of the dose because as I said you will be sensitive. But again personally I wouldn't take anything this early. I know you don't want to hear this but 40 days is not long at all in Benzo WD

Do not go to a psych ward! They will throw multiple drugs at you until you are a zombie and do more damage. You are recovery, I know it's hard but it will get better. You just need to take it a minute at a time if that's what it takes. Distract yourself as much as you can, and try to accept the symptoms of signs of healing. If you break a bone it itches as it heals. If you damage your brain it gives you symptoms as it heals.

Things will improve soon, once you are out of the Acute stage things are more manageable. I found Claire Weekes audiobooks good for anxiety and practicing acceptance. You can find them on YouTube for free. They may help a little.

Distract as much as you can, it will get better

The thoughts of being forced into the psych ward are just anxiety. It won't happen

Thank you again- you are so kind with your words and so helpful. The distraction thing - I try I just worry about “what if “ I lose it  etc.. go into a rage etc- I don’t know what I would do - I worry so much it has taken over my life and healing - I am afraid. Thank you for helping me

If you have the money for it, there is a nice place in Sedona Arizona called Alternative to Meds Center and they help you to get off psych meds in a holistic manner but the only problem is that it’s pretty expensive. They do give out scholarships.