Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Agoraphobia help

[Na...]

How do you overcome agoraphobia?  I actually developed agoraphobia over a year ago all of a sudden and I was still taking prescribed dosage of clonazepam. That's when I think I started realizing something was wrong  because my life turned upside down just like that. No doctor and believe me over the past year and a half I have seen many ever mentioned my symptoms could be from long term benzo! Finally after a while attested doing my own research. Since starting my taper the agoraphobia has gotten worse. I also haven't been stable in over a year even post taper and can't seem to stabilize.

I believe taking Klonopin irregularly may have caused my original agoraphobia.  After many years working to be agoraphobia-free, I had a severe setback when I started taking Klonopin again.  I had no idea my panic disorder problems could be caused by the very drug I thought was supposed to be helping me until I discovered Benzobuddies.  I felt utterly hopeless, but once I settled into a long slow liquid microtaper, the sx settled down and I was able to make agoraphobia progress again.

I'm nearing the end of my taper, and back to the level of freedom I had enjoyed, agoraphobia-wise.  I guess the best advice I can give is "baby steps."  Being kind, patient and forgiving with yourself, but trying to go "just a little further" on a regular basis.  I think it helps to have a particular goal to work at, a place you really want to see again in the future.  But don't feel you should push yourself too hard at one time.  Piggyback one small success after another gradually, trying to go a little further each time.

A couple other things that help me -

---it helps if I drive, rather than someone else.  A feeling of control, I guess, and attention to the road distracts me from myself.  Plus I just really enjoy driving.

---carrying around a Klonopin pill used to be my failsafe.  I wouldn't take it, but just knowing I had it just in case I needed it helped.  Of course that's out now!  Now (and this may be unorthodox) I actually keep a bottle of wine in the car as my failsafe.  I'm a lightweight, one glass of wine would relax me if needed, and I could let my BF drive.  Knowing the wine is there, I don't need it.  It's just a psychological crutch, but it works for me.

Your experiences may be different, but Lord knows, I feel for you! 

Wishing you all the best!

clearbluesky

once your central nervous system recover it will be  easier,  from experiênce, for endless months i couldnt even think of going out... now i dont feel like going out and still not smooth like it should but i can go out and its not terrorific like it was to do so...

probably  benzos are what caused your agoraphobia .. i didnt had depression,  anxiety or anything like that previous being pushed this drugs , since the beggining i experienced severe agoraphobia purely and solely caused by them... 

I believe taking Klonopin irregularly may have caused my original agoraphobia.  After many years working to be agoraphobia-free, I had a severe setback when I started taking Klonopin again.  I had no idea my panic disorder problems could be caused by the very drug I thought was supposed to be helping me until I discovered Benzobuddies.  I felt utterly hopeless, but once I settled into a long slow liquid microtaper, the sx settled down and I was able to make agoraphobia progress again.

I'm nearing the end of my taper, and back to the level of freedom I had enjoyed, agoraphobia-wise.  I guess the best advice I can give is "baby steps."  Being kind, patient and forgiving with yourself, but trying to go "just a little further" on a regular basis.  I think it helps to have a particular goal to work at, a place you really want to see again in the future.  But don't feel you should push yourself too hard at one time.  Piggyback one small success after another gradually, trying to go a little further each time.

A couple other things that help me -

---it helps if I drive, rather than someone else.  A feeling of control, I guess, and attention to the road distracts me from myself.  Plus I just really enjoy driving.

---carrying around a Klonopin pill used to be my failsafe.  I wouldn't take it, but just knowing I had it just in case I needed it helped.  Of course that's out now!  Now (and this may be unorthodox) I actually keep a bottle of wine in the car as my failsafe.  I'm a lightweight, one glass of wine would relax me if needed, and I could let my BF drive.  Knowing the wine is there, I don't need it.  It's just a psychological crutch, but it works for me.

Your experiences may be different, but Lord knows, I feel for you! 

Wishing you all the best!

clearbluesky

I believe it was tolerance to clonazepam that caused my agoraphobia a year and half ago. If I would have known almost two years ago that most my symptoms were tolerance withdrawal I would have started getting off this drug sooner.

Seen new doc today and she wants to rapid taper me of two drugs at once!

Thank you for sharing your experience and the encouragement. May God bless you!

once your central nervous system recover it will be  easier,  from experiênce, for endless months i couldnt even think of going out... now i dont feel like going out and still not smooth like it should but i can go out and its not terrorific like it was to do so...

probably  benzos are what caused your agoraphobia .. i didnt had depression,  anxiety or anything like that previous being pushed this drugs , since the beggining i experienced severe agoraphobia purely and solely caused by them...

I hope I can overcome it. I used to be on the go all the time.

Be gentle and patient with yourself.  Those of us who have been through the same struggles understand just how courageous you really are! 

btw.......another thing that helped me was true adventure stories.  Reading a bio about Sir Francis Drake, the journals of Lewis & Clark and other true adventures into the unknown, made my own small challenges seem all the more do-able!  I didn't read these books as therapy, I just like adventure stories, but maybe just expanding the mental horizon helps.  It could be the history or culture of some far off place, or art history, archeology, paleontology, etc.  Just putting our dreams and imagination somewhere far beyond where we are might help condition us to think further. 

Anyway, just a thought, hope it helps!

clearbluesky