Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

35 yrs. on 1.25mg clonazepam; dr. wants to discontinue; worried

[Ei...]

Hello,

I am concerned that one of my drs. (psych) wants to discontinue my clonazepam Rx after 35 years on a steady dose of 1.50mg clonazepam, to 1.25 and then continuing to zero.  I have protested regarding the danger of seizures, or just not possible to return to a stable state, and inability to cope with anxiety.  I would prefer to stay at this dose indefinitely.  Am I right to be concerned and what would you advise from personal experience.  Thank you so much for reading and any feedback.

Hello Eirinoula, welcome to BenzoBuddies,

A slow taper is best when someone has been on the drug for as long as you have and we suggest reducing by about 5-10% every couple of weeks but this should be guided by your symptoms in order to stay functional.  Some members will go even slower if symptoms are severe.

Benzodiazepines are only suggested to be used for 2-4 weeks and many in the medical community are starting to worry about prolonged exposure of their patients and to add to that, they're nervous because of the increased scrutiny from governing bodies.  Benzodiazepines are quickly becoming the new opioid disaster. 

A slow taper will typically keep you from having a seizure and they're rare except in cases of high doses and quitting cold turkey or if someone has a history of them. 

Have you thought about looking for another provider?

I'll give you some links to the forum so you can reach out to our members, we're glad you're here.

Pamster

The Ashton Manual

Planning Your Withdrawal (Taper)

Withdrawal Support (during your taper)

My personal opinion is that no one who has been on these drugs for many years or decades should be forced to now come off them if they are happy being on them. Taking Benzos long-term can be bad for a number of reasons but no one should be forced off if they have been taking the drugs as prescribed and have no history of abuse. People who are forced to come off these drugs often do very poorly. If this was me and I did not want to come off, I would simply doctor shop for another psychiatrist or GP and then have my medical records transferred after  finding another doctor.

What is the reason the pdoc wants you to come off? How long has this doctor been prescribing the klonopin to you, or is this a new doctor? These doctors are all well-meaning but most don't understand it takes a very long time to slower taper off these drugs and the process can be literally intolerable for a few ppl, even with a slow controlled taper under medical supervision.

That they are bad for cognitive function, which I have not perceived myself, nor have my acquaintances.  I think this is the psych's moral ideology.  My other drs. did not find it necessary after so many years.  I appreciate your reply.  Thank you.