Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Very long term benzo user

[JJ...]

Hi everyone. I’m 66 yo and have been using benzos most of my life. They are prescribed but I find myself needing them more and more. I use Valium and I feel function quite normally with it. I am beginning to see now how it keeps me lazy. I don’t go out much but do work for the past 10 years for a psychiatrist of all doctors who hasn’t a clue I take this to function better at work. It is all becoming more stressful and I am retiring in a few months and would like to discontinue the use of this drug. I also use it for sleep. I do believe I am genetically pre disposed to anxiety and depression. Thanks and hope to achieve some insight. JJjj

Hello JJjj1222,

Welcome to BenzoBuddies, we are glad you are here!  We can help you let go of Valium if you choose to taper off.  We suggest a slow taper with reductions of no more than 5-10% of your total daily dose every two weeks or so.  Going slow tends to minimize withdrawl symptoms and allows you to stay functional.  Many of our members continue working during their withdrawl but the key is to go slow.

I've put some links below that should be useful to you.  I suggest you do some looking around the site and reading before you begin tapering.  Having a good taper plan is key to success.  Let us know when you need help and feel free to ask questions.

Again, welcome,

Kate08

The Ashton Manual

Planning Your Withdrawal (Taper)

Withdrawal Support (during your taper)

Hi JJjj, good to have you here. I have never heard anyone say that benzos keep them lazy!! Do you mean you suffer fatigue? I’m similar to you, I’m 67 and have just quit Lorazepam. It’s been tough but worth it. Hope you find the help you need for a successful taper and a happy retirement.

Hardy.