Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Looking for possible common link for those of us with head pressure?

[Ga...]

I have been noticing lately more and more buddies posting about head related pain, burning, tingling, and pressure.  This has been my longest and worst symptom, and I believe it relates directly to my 14 month use of Valium, as does my neurologist, and which was originally prescribed for headaches. 

I had a one month reprieve from all head symptoms recently, but now into my fourth week of pretty constant head pressure and weird head sensations. 

I wonder if there is anything that sets us apart from those buddies who have no head symptoms at all?

I am so ready to write my success story now at two years, if I could wake up head pain free.  Sometimes the pain fades out mid-afternoon or early evening, sometimes it begins late evening, and varies in length and intensity.

Those of you buddies in the same boat, let’s chat and see what we might come up with!

GG

If I didn't have head symptoms I wouldn't have WD. That's been pretty much it. I'm fairly sure a lot of mine is inflammation due to damage on top of my head. I can still feel that part moving around. There's also problems with the veins, as the pressure on the side released a little and I had nosebleeds. Again I think this is inflammation response.

I have no suggestions on what to do about it. If I take anything it usually makes it worse. I was on Valium, but also had a stint on others and had an adverse reaction to an AD. So it could be anything in my case.

Really angry at the moment about it all. How can having head pressure and bleeding from your nose be caused by anxiety/depression and be fixed with an antidepressant, which is what every f-ing doctor I've spoken to diagnosis me with.

But things are getting better slowly

2 years and counting.......

[28...]

Hi GG

I think it’s a mix of brain inflammation and possible intracranial hypertension.

I’ve had it worse since my Moderna booster and a bunch of people in my MCAS group and also a bunch in an IH group said they got symptoms after the vaccine or booster as well, or even COVID itself.

Allergists in Canada are seeing a rise in MCAS issues from all of this.

So antihistamines and mast cell stabilizers can help, but I’m pretty sensitive these days.

I started to get this crazy head pressure and feeling of my veins right after my booster.

How the heck do I taper with this pain.

I wake up to blood rushing around my head, instead of the adrenaline rush through my body??

The weather certainly plays a part, even if it never bothered you before.

Also, food high in Vit A isn’t great either.

So tired and I have so long to go.

I wish it would disappear for both of you as well.

Hugs

Winnie

Thanks for the responses, Having a Mare and WinnieDog.  Mare, what damage was done to your head???  I just can’t grasp how my head, jaws and neck can be a level 10 in pain and then a few hours or days later it all disappears.  This wave has been a lot longer than my most recent ones so quite hard to keep hanging on.  Unfortunately all the times I went to the ER for the headaches I was given an IV of Benadryl and Ativan😱😱😱😱😱.  I’m sure the Ativan has added to my horror story.  I was even given a test while I was in the hospital for surgery to see if I had a cerebral leak, but none was found. 

I will see my neurologist this coming Thursday to get my EEG test results…..I fully expect the results to show nothing.  However, if a blocked artery is found and it can be unblocked and my headaches would disappear, I am all for that. 

I do wonder if all those glued on electrodes hyped up my head symptoms?  I guess I will never know.

Here’s to healing head, necks and jaws🙏🙏🙏🙏🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉

GG

What ever damage these drugs do GG. I can still feel it in the top, and it has seemed all along that was where my other symptoms have come from. When it moves now I get GI issues for example. For months on end it was just constant pain there and a moving sensation. Then every few days extreme pressure where I couldn't see properly. Thankfully it's got much better than that, but still there

Well, Having a Mare, I guess all we can do is hang on tight and wait for the last window to open, never to close again!!!!

GG

Seems to be related to inflammation,  do you all get eye pain with head pressure ? I always read about pressure but that maybe that is different from pain ? Didn't know.

Hi FoxClover6.  I don’t get eye pain, but do have a feeling of fullness in the sinus area.  Sometimes my jaws and teeth hurt, but mainly my pain and pressure goes from the back of my neck up to the top of my head, where it burns and throbs.  When I don’t have the head symptoms I feel healed, so let’s hope both of us are heading into a window NOW!!!!!

GG

GG,

Just wanted to say sure hope these headaches pass for you very soon and that the doctor doesn't find anything wrong with you. It would be much better for it just to clear up because it's part of benzo recovery than having to go through a procedure. I understand how you feel it would be nice for them to find something and be able to fix it. But, this whole process causes all kinds of strange symptoms until they're gone. And I'm sure it will go for you soon since you're past the two-year mark. Hugs!

LiveLife

Hi FoxClover6.  I don’t get eye pain, but do have a feeling of fullness in the sinus area.  Sometimes my jaws and teeth hurt, but mainly my pain and pressure goes from the back of my neck up to the top of my head, where it burns and throbs.  When I don’t have the head symptoms I feel healed, so let’s hope both of us are heading into a window NOW!!!!!

GG

I get that too, it is so painful.  I hope we are

I do have a diagnosis for my head pressure.  Last Jan. doc diagnosed me with Lupus Encephalitis.  Encephalitis is inflammation in the brain and mine is caused by autoantibodies against my damaged blood vessels and possibly neurons in my brain from drug damage.  I take a baby aspirin at bedtime per doc's orders and it does help reduce the head pressure.  My head feels like it's going to explode sometimes.  I don't have an actual headache though.

GG

I get the sinus inflammation too. There's a nerve that runs up the back of the neck and branches out on the top of the head. If you're getting burning too, it could be nerve damage? But I'm assuming your doctor would have looked at that?

Morning, Mare.  In the past two years I have had nerve blocks, radio frequency ablation, and steroid shots on the back of my neck (which have just aggravated my recovery, I believe), and those procedures never alleviated my pain.  When I am in a window I have no pain at all….that is what is so confusing!  I awoke today to feeling like I have the benzo flu again, so guess my nasty wave continues.

I hope you have a healing kind of day!

GG

I'm actually off to the hospital, I mentioned to a friend that I was having nosebleeds along with the pressure and she wasn't impressed lol. So she's forcing me to get some tests. Wish me luck

I'm actually off to the hospital, I mentioned to a friend that I was having nosebleeds along with the pressure and she wasn't impressed lol. So she's forcing me to get some tests. Wish me luck

Hope everything is ok

Yeah it's fine. Just my friend worrying. They didn't seem concerned, ran a few tests and gotta go back for a MRI. But it won't won't show anything. I think it's just the pressure releasing

Relief for you, Mare!  You are probably right about the MRI not showing anything.  I have had more than a few MRI’s plus one MRA, and all show a totally healthy brain.  But, still the worry crops up every time the head symptoms raise their own ugly heads!

Healing continues even when we feel at our worst!

Hugs,

GG

Yeah it's fine. Just my friend worrying. They didn't seem concerned, ran a few tests and gotta go back for a MRI. But it won't won't show anything. I think it's just the pressure releasing

Reading your signature,  I just wish j knew your whole story in detail.  I had a bad reaction to reinstatement and then a bad reaction to buspar, it made me really so much worse off . I still don't think I'm right after it.