Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Working full time

[mr...]

Currently on 20 mg of Valium. 

Has anybody been able to work full-time still while completely tapering?

I am the breadwinner of the family.

If I wanna be able to function somewhat, what taper rate is usually a good one?

I have been the sole income through my taper and it hasn't been easy I won't lie. The thing that I have had to get through to a few medical professionals is I am only going to go at a rate that allows me to still function at a level that I can spend time with the family and hold down the job. I have had varying success at maintaining this level. There were many a time I didn't think I would be able to keep going at the job. But so far I have managed it with the support of family and some understanding managers at work.

I started the valium at 20mg. I used a scale to measure the ground up pills. I was breaking it into four doses a day and tapered the middle two doses until they were 0. Then started on the morning and once that was 0 moved to the nighttime dose. I will say I switched to klonopin because my body was metabolizing the valium too quickly, which is why I had to break it into four doses throughout the day.

Edit: I got down from 20mg of valium to 10 when I crossed back over to klonopin. Looking back I think the switch to valium probably set me back quite a ways because of the metabolism issue and trying to align the doses between types of benzos.

I love this topic. Yes I’ve worked during my entire taper. It’s been extremely hard but I enjoy work and it provides me a great distraction.