Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Reluctance to enter inpatient alcohol rehab

[DJ...]

My baseline Klonopin usage is about .25mg twice a day. I've been dependent for 12 years now. I've also developed a serious alcohol issue over the years--though I wouldn't need detox at this point. I'm reluctant to commit to inpatient rehab for alcohol treatment though because of fear of losing the prescription or having it altered.

Anyone have experience or advice with this one?

Its unlikely the rehab facility is knowledgeable about benzo withdrawal and they'll most likely rapid taper you off of the Klonopin then put you in with the general population to learn the twelve steps.  They may give you comfort medications for your Klonopin withdrawal symptoms but they can't spare you from the reality of acute withdrawal so be prepared for some discomfort until you recover which will possibly many months.

The best outcome of you going in will mean you're alcohol and benzo free which would be wonderful because you've been supplementing your benzo dose with alcohol since they work on the same part of the brain. 

It will be rough but if you have addiction issues like I do, it might be the best thing for you.

I quit drinking alcohol when I tapered off benzos and I joined AA.  I didn't go to detox or rehab for the reasons Pamster mentioned - I didn't want to face being quickly taken off benzos.  I learned here at BB that I wouldn't heal from my year of benzo use if I continued to drink like I had been - both the benzos and the alcohol had to go for me.

If you don't need a clinic-based detox, you could check AA out to see what you think.  Going to rehab certainly isn't a requirement for joining.

Read the AA big book and other AA literature. A lot of mention of tranquilizers and sedatives (benzos back in the day) In every AA meeting Atleast one person has dealt with benzos/withdrawal. When alcoholics start drinking everyday they feel like shit. Usually people with health insurance go to the doctors with panic attacks. Then doctors give them benzos. These panic attacks and anxiety are not caused by plain Jane anxiety. It’s alcohol withdrawl. You should give it a shot. Lot of smart people in AA.

I went to private detox center. It’s basically them watching you to make sure you have a bad reaction to withdrawl. That’s the easy part tho. The hard part is staying off and recovering from benzos that takes a while.

I would talk to your GP about detox.

But I’ll tell you 100 percent to go to AA.