Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Your experiences/ valium crossover

[pa...]

I'm just wondering how those of you who did a valium crossover did. Was it hard? Better? Very sedating? Anything you can think of please let me know. My doctor agreed to let me do it but I'm very nervous because I dont want to make matters worse. I'm supposed to start the 2nd. I need more information from those who have been there.

Thank you!

Amanda

It was a little uncomfortable. I accomplished it in 2 phases. Started on 0.5 mg Klonopin, changed to 0.25 K and 5 mg V, step 2 a week later 0 K and 10 mg V. A week later I started my valium taper. As I say, a little uncomfortable but I've been through much worse.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

T

I'm just wondering how those of you who did a valium crossover did. Was it hard? Better? Very sedating? Anything you can think of please let me know. My doctor agreed to let me do it but I'm very nervous because I dont want to make matters worse. I'm supposed to start the 2nd. I need more information from those who have been there.

Thank you!

Amanda

It was tough on the first week, but once the Valium started to build up, it got better. I took 15 days to complete the crossover and it was a smooth one with tolerable symptoms.

Jarocho

Paxton,

It appears that a small number of people find the process of switching quite difficult (but in all likelihood, you will be fine). It is important and advantageous that your doctor is sympathetic and will work you to mange the transition (actually, it is important for all withdrawing). However, you need to balance this with disadvantes associated other withdrawal methods. Tapering directly from Ativan can be tough, and you may well find that you will need to switch to an alternative method sooner or later. When switching to Valium, it is easier to do this from a relatively high dose, as you can switch smaller fractions of your dose at a time (if you take just half of a tablet of your original benzo per day, you are likely to be only able to manage switching in two stages - far from ideal). Titration cuts out the need for switching, but by continuing to take a short half-life benzo, you miss out on the benefits of taking a long half-life benzo such as Valium. Also, titration ties you to kitchen somewhat, as it is difficult to to do this away from your home.

Very many of our members have switched to Valium as part of their taper plan, and the vast majority appeared to have benefited from it. The few that have reported problems may have experienced problems anyway - there is no way of knowing for sure. I tapered directly from Clonazepam, but the feedback from the vest majority of members suggests that there is much to gain by substituting with Valium. The sedating effects is often a blessing, some of them gaining some real sleep for for time in a long time. Switching just a small part of your dose will minimise the sedative effects, and you will adjust to this anyway.

Thanks everyone.

My doctor wants to switch me at .5mg every week. Does that seem too much? Should I try .25mg instead of try the .5mg and see how that goes?

Amanda

I crossed over from 1.5 mgs of Ativan to 13 mgs of Valium in a period of two weeks.  I crossed over half my dose of Ativan to the Valium equivalent in one day.  Waited two weeks and  crossed over the balance of Ativan to Valium. (including a 2mg reduction)  So I crossed over from 1.5 mgs of Avian to 13mgs of Valium in total.

The first day of the cross over was very uncomfortable.  I felt very weird but was fine after that.  Again, I was following the Ashton guidelines.  If I had the chance to do it over again, I would have probably have gone about it much slower.

IMO, I would do what Colin recommends.

Wishing you a smooth crossover.

Sandy :)

Paxton I'm doing .5mg/weekly and so far so good and that includes taking antibiotics and splitting my 150mg of Lyrica into two equal dosages.

Sounds like a broken record, but you're in control of your own taper, so if .5m/week turns out to be too much or too little, you can always adjust :-)

Jarocho

You might be fine switching 0.5mg Ativan at a time, but it would be safer to switch just 0.25mg at a time, especially as you report that you have been struggling recently. Maybe you could try switching 0.5mg the first time, and if it proves too tough, talk with your doctor about switching 0.25mg with future cuts. As Jarocho says, you need to control your own taper, but it also makes sense to try and keep your doctor involved. After all, you need your doctor to prescribe these meds. ;)

Thank you. I did my first dose last night, wish I had seen your post first. I switched over .25mg to 2.5mg of valium. Since I take .75mg per dose I figured the smaller one was a better idea especially since I just cut and want to see what it feels like first.

My doctor thinks I;m starting at 4mg instead of 3mg. I didnt want to tell her I was cutting incase she decided not to go along with the crossover, so I have some extra valium which is good so I can slow myself if need be.

Thank you for your advice.

Amanda