Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

Squirrels!

[I ...]

Anybody know how to get rid of a squirrel (in a nice way,of course)? Dang thing will not leave. It actually made a home in my mom's attic and we covered where it was coming in and out from and it can't get back in but now it's just all over the roof trying to get back in. Annoyed!

Not sure how to get rid of them, but we had the same situation growing up with squirrels. They had built a tomb for an obviously revered squirrel leader in the attic over an old garage that my parents converted into a bedroom. They heard all these noises, and hired someone to open up the ceiling and the discovered this crazy tomb, with squirrel remains ensconced in branches and acorns, etc. It became an obsession with my dad to seal all holes that squirrels could use to get into the house just like you did. Maybe double check there was nothing left behind that they want?

I wish you luck with this...very annoying indeed.

Thanks for your reply @Tater. Turns out it left it's baby up there. That's why she won't leave. Trying our best to get it out but it keeps on getting away. I'm afraid we won't get to it in time before it dies without it's mama. Going to contact an exterminator tomorrow.

Its funny, I was driving today and saw a service truck on the road that said it specialized in "Critter Control" and helped relocate little animals like squirrels, etc and I thought of you. Hope it all goes okay.

Best way to get rid of squirrels is by trapping them with no-kill traps, and then releasing them out into the wild. Sounds like you've already called an exterminator, but maybe for next time! The traps can usually be found at hardware stores, I think, or bought on line. You just put a little piece of food in there and they go in and the door closes, and then you can take the squirrel to a park or something and release it.  :thumbsup:

My grandfather used to trap them and take them to the park.

I had some get in my garage and attic.

They can gnaw on wires, etc. They are rodents really.

Not sure how to get rid of them, but we had the same situation growing up with squirrels. They had built a tomb for an obviously revered squirrel leader in the attic over an old garage that my parents converted into a bedroom. They heard all these noises, and hired someone to open up the ceiling and the discovered this crazy tomb, with squirrel remains ensconced in branches and acorns, etc. It became an obsession with my dad to seal all holes that squirrels could use to get into the house just like you did. Maybe double check there was nothing left behind that they want?

I wish you luck with this...very annoying indeed.

Tater tot, this made me laugh. The King Tut of squirrels  :2funny:

I pictured a fancy gold tomb. Maybe it was the leader of the squirrels.