What is the best method without using other drugs?

[Lu...]

I’ve been on 1MG of lorazepam for 6 months. I was first off it you can say cold turkey when I had Covid 4 months ago for a month and then a withdrawal hit super hard and I went back on it everyday for three weeks after.

I had another withdrawal or episode this last Sunday which took me to the ER and you’ll guessed it they inject me with Ativan. I’ve contact my doctor that I wanted off because lorazepam was doing more harm than good and he told me to take half the dosage for two weeks and continue to drop every two weeks. I was wondering if that was the best method to go without having to intake another drug to compensate. I see lots of posts and method of tapering methods but only see it’s geared towards those who been on it for years and at a higher dosage. I just want to know the best method for my situation and have a clear guideline. I know the road is hard but I’m willing to climb.

So if there’s a guide to get off 1MG of lorazepam tapering without having to use a different drug please let me know. Thank you all in advance.

You've been on the drug for 6 months and your body looks like it's dependent since you ended up in the ER so I believe a slow taper based on your symptoms would be the best route for you to go but first we need to know a little more.

When you say "withdrawal episode", what do you mean?

I think I meant it in a way where being that I went days without the medication so abruptly that the withdrawals happened where the anxiety spiked, dizziness, muscle twitching, couldn’t walk straight kind of thing.

Are you back on 1 mg of Lorazepam now and have you stabilized after your ER visit?  If you are then I'd suggest reducing your dose by about 5% for a week or two just to see how this is going to go for you.  If you find you're doing well you can always make the next reduction larger but it's tough to pull out of withdrawal symptoms when we go too fast.

What size are your tablets?

At the moment I am taking half of my 1MG tablet. On day three and have some complication but not as serious as before. It’s manageable. The tablets itself is pretty small. After the er I was fine because of course they gave me Ativan to calm everything down. I don’t know the dosage amount they gave me. Then I was off for a day but I messaged my doctor that I wanted off and he suggested taking half and see if I can manage if not then I would have to adjust.

Like I said I taking half of the tablet. I don’t know what that measures to. Was never good at measuring and I am doing fine for now. Anything could happen I know but it’s not as extreme as pre ER when I tried cold turkey. I’m also just so you are aware taking it like how I was when I started. When I first started I took one tablet before work which was 2:30pm. I didn’t break it in two taking a half in the morning and a half at night. I just took one tablet before work. Even now with me reducing it to a half tablet it’s before work a day.

Hi Lucious, it’s really good to go slow with your taper. Going to ER is not a great experience for anyone so best avoided. Have you got enough tablets to do a slow taper? I found it best to take the same consistent amount each day, in 2 or 3 doses to prevent inter-dose withdrawal symptoms. When I got down to 1mg I found I could take that in just 2 doses. From 0.4mg, I found I could take just the one dose at midday. It’s different for everyone. I use a pill grinder to make the tablet into powder and then I weigh the correct amount of powder on a micro scale. Both from Amazon. It doesn’t matter what amount you are taking, the taper rules apply. In fact, that last small dose can sometimes be the trickiest to get off……..but not for everyone. Slow and steady works best for most people, letting your body heal as you go.

You can do this.

I'm concerned about your 50% cut which now puts you at .50 mgs a day.  I'm glad you're feeling okay but please understand you could begin to feel increasing symptoms.  If this happens and they become unbearable I'd suggest doing what Hardy66 said and go slower.  If symptoms increase you can either hold this dose for a couple of weeks or go back up in dose a bit.

The members in this support group may be able to better advise you about how long it takes for Ativan withdrawal symptoms to show up after a reduction. Ativan Tapering Thread

Like I said so far the symptoms are minor for now. I’m on day three. I’m keeping my eyes open in case as I continue things may turn or not.

Edit: like what I’m feeling now before my scheduled medication in the mornings are a little confusion, slight dizziness and feel a little hot (no fever) that’s it for now.