Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Anything to help Metal Mouth?

Hi Friends...I am wondering if any of you who have had the fond pleasure of experiencing Metal/Chemical Mouth have found anything that relieves that taste?  I just drank a glass of Instant Breakfast and it tasted like it was laced with dirty old coins/metal shavings...or worse.  I am losing so much weight already and with this flu I can hardly swallow from the sore throat...I find myself hesitant to eat because of that putrid taste...it makes me gag.  I have brushed my teeth...used mouth wash and nothing masks it.  Is this coming from the brain or taste buds?  I guess in the scheme of things it is one of the most benign symptoms but I cannot afford to lose any more weight.

Thank you...

Donna

Hi Damage, I had to reply to you. I have had metal mouth with an added variable since the word go in this so I can relate. My mouth tasted like the way tin smells, and sulphur kind of. The strength wore off but it still doesn't have that neutral "my old healthy mouth" taste. I have wondered the exact same thing, is it a wrong signal from the brain to the taste buds? Is it a part of the chemical from the pill?

And the teeth on the top left side of my mouth feel like metal when they touch the bottom teeth. Still. So strange.

I have heard many people talk about both of these. They usually go a little quicker than mine so don't be alarmed or compare to me as I always say. All I can say is the putrid strength your describing left after a couple of months.

Hi Donna:

I have had what I call "copper mouth."  It tastes like I'm sucking on pennies in my mouth.  It came on for about two weeks during the end of my taper and has left. 

It does decrease one's appetite -- hang in there.  I have a feeling it will go away on its own for you too. 

... and as I got lower and lower in V, and post taper, I have stopped craving the carbs too.  So that might be another reason you have lost some of your appetite.

Good days ahead for you, :yippee:

Rocko

When I first experienced the metallic taste, I became concerned and went to the Dentist because I thought that maybe it was a fillling that was causing this, of course, it wasn't. Another weird event to chalk up to withdrawals.

I tried chewing gum, sucking on hard candy, eating garlic, you name it, nothing worked......Thank God, this was gone in about 2 weeks. Did you have the burning mouth, I wouldn't wish that on the devil himself.

Good luck to you!

Yes...I have had the burning mouth...lips and feeling like my teeth are made of something metallic also...a very disturbing tactile sensation when I chew certain foods or when they touch each other.  I remember trying to eat scallops and it was like I was chewing on a rusty nickel.  This whole thing is beyond belief.

Thank you, friends.  I guess nothing will mask it!

Donna