Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Seizure AFTER LONG taper?

I thought I read a story the other day about somebody having a seizure maybe 4 months out AFTER a long taper - I'm hoping it was a nightmare while I was sleeping!  :laugh: 

Has this happened to anybody?  I'd just like to think that if I'm doing a slow taper (either .125mg or .1 every 2 weeks minimum) that there should be no risk of siezures.  If this did happen, I'd just be curious about all the circumstances - details of taper and such.

Thank you!  Continued healing to all of you!  :thumbsup:

Lisa

[6c...]

Lisa,

I have read that as well. I know a lady from an Epilepsy forum, who had a seizure 17 months after tapering Xanax. I'm not trying to scare anyone at all. She tapered. She was on that forum because of that one seizure.

I think it's very rare to seizure if you taper. I have never read too many stories of it happening while people taper.. unless they go too fast. So on..

Everyones seizure threshold is different. I have read stories of people c/t 3 or 4 mg of Klonopin and so on and no seizure (Not recommending a c/t at all).

I had childhood seizures, and I don't remember half of them. Only the aura's I had before one.

3% of seizures are fatal, and very rarely do you hear of a death or anything because of one.

Lisa, I don't think you will have a seizure.. slow tapering. There have been times I thought I was going to have one. I know the anxiety and worry about having a seizure.

If you are doing a slow taper.. try not to worry about one. If you think you have had one, go to the ER.

Mostly what we worry about never happens.. that's true.

So, try not to focus on that or you will invoke that fear of having one, when you're doing a reasonable taper.

Ashton says it's rare.

S#

Thanks Sigma!  I needed to hear the positive words!  Yes, when you're in the tapering process and anxiety is in you, you begin to worry more than we did before.  I do believe that I needed to hear this was unusual and that hopefully with a slow taper that it protects our brain as much as we can.

Thank you!

Lisa

[6c...]

Thanks Sigma!  I needed to hear the positive words!  Yes, when you're in the tapering process and anxiety is in you, you begin to worry more than we did before.  I do believe that I needed to hear this was unusual and that hopefully with a slow taper that it protects our brain as much as we can.

Thank you!

Lisa

Lisa,

To my knowledge seizures are very rare if you taper, which you are doing.

Ashton talks some about them, and says they are rare.

Don't worry too much about a seizure. You will be just fine.

In my experience.. when I talk about seizures, I had them as a child and my threshold is weak.

S#