Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

Can anyone answer this?

[An...]

We have the Ashton manual for benzo tapering. We know who created it. Professor Heather Ashton did. I read that micro-tapering via water titration was just started by someone effected by benzos personally in the benzo community. Does anyone know who that person is? Who is credited with tapering via water titration?

[1e...]
I suspect it was tried and reported by a lot of folks.  It's even been done (and reported) in hospital settings.  As expected, results are more variable when using water.

I know a guy named chessplayer who closed his account years ago mentioned that he used to use a bit of vodka to dissolve the pills in since sometimes water won't dissolve them. 

I have seen ppl talk about this Beck.

Say Diazepam>>>>

Diazepam (Valium, C16H13ClN2O, MW 284.75) occurs as an off-white to yellow, practically odorless, crystalline powder. It is practically insoluble in water (1 g in 333 mL water), but soluble in alcohol

The internet says most benzos are not water-soluble but can be dissolved in alcohol. If people are doing titration using water, I wonder how much of the drug are they actually getting when they dose, even if they shake vigorously. Benzo ppl are reluctant to use alcohol to dissolve for obvious reasons.

I suspect it was tried and reported by a lot of folks.  It's even been done (and reported) in hospital settings.  As expected, results are more variable when using water.

Welcome back badsocref, hope you're well

chessplayer said that he only used a very small amount of vodka to dissolve his pills.  Not enough to even notice its effects when you consume it.

[1e...]

chessplayer said that he only used a very small amount of vodka to dissolve his pills.  Not enough to even notice its effects when you consume it.

Depends on the benzo and the amount.  One can probably get 0.5 mg of Ativan into 1 ml of 80-proof vodka, but there's no way you can get 20 mg of Valium into 1 ml.

Might I share three points about benzodiazepine solubility readers might find of interest?

First, different benzodiazepines have different solubilities in different solvents. For example, diazepam is soluble in alcohol; however, clonazepam is only slightly soluble (per the United States Pharmacopoeia).

Second, the ingredients and procedures used to generate experimental solubility values are quite different from what can be achieved via ‘kitchen compounding.’  For example, read the Experimental Methods section (pages 2143-2144) in the paper cited below.

Third, drug solubility is just one factor that must be considered when developing formulations for liquid medications that are safe and effective for human use.

Citation:

Solubility of Chlordiazepoxide, Diazepam, and Lorazepam in Ethanol + Water Mixtures at 303.2 K

Accessed online at: https://digital.library.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metadc402444/m2/1/high_res_d/Acree%20-%20Pub%20486.pdf

I wonder how many people have "dissolved" their pills in water only when it didn't dissolve entirely or evenly.  Up and down doses then.