Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Sub taper from ambien cr 25mg to valium?

[do...]

Hi I am new here. I have been on Ambien cr for 7 years. 2- 12.5mg (dr prescrribed this amount!!). About 2 months ago I began waking up with a racing heart, crying almost all day. I went to the Psych. and she said I was having withdrawls (even though I had never stopped). She prescribed me Xanax xr to take in the morning and at night. 1mg morning, 1mg night. She told me to take this to taper the Ambien. I was able to taper the Ambien to one 12.5mg with this. Now here is the unbeleivable thing. I have developed a rapid either tolerance or sensitivity to the xanax xr and I have started with the crying and DEEP DEPRESSION after taking the dose. Soooo, today the dr called me in 20mg of valium to take. I have been on the xanax for 3 weeks, is it ok to stop the xanax and just sub the valium? I am so confused right now.Also, If valium has a half life of 8 days, won't I be drooling by day 8 if I keep taking it enough? I want OFF of this stuff!! I have no idea how to do it. 20mg valium seems like alot to be taking with the ambien too. Do I stop everything and replace it with the valium? My doctor is not sure how to proceed.  she relies on my input. Not good considering my mind is not fully here right now. Thank you . God Bless!!      Steph

I'm sorry you are in such a pickle, dobbie.  You are on some very short acting medications and may have developed a tolerance as well.  I wouldn't worry about taking too much benzo when you switch to 20mg.  Your doctor has prescribed half as much Valium as we usually recommend as a starting point for replacing 2mg Xanax and that doesn't even consider the 12.5 Ambien you are one.

I wouldn't just stop taking the Xanax and start the Valium.  It could take a couple of weeks before the Valium reaches full strength but the Xanax will leave your system within days.  I think a better idea is to substitute .5mg Xanax with 5mg Valium every two weeks until you are on nothing but 20 mg Valium (plus the Ambien).  After a couple of weeks on just the Valium, you might want to try dropping the Ambien.  I really wish the doctor had prescribed a higher dose for you to replace both these drugs.  Good luck.

[bb...]

Dobbie,

Tell us how everything goes.

I agree with Beeper. I wish the doctor would have prescribed you more Valium to cover the Ambien as well.

We have to work with what we have.  ::) doctors don't understand this!

Good Luck.

:)

Hi Dobbie:

I think Beeper is spot on with good advice for subbing in the valium while reducing your xanax.  And try to stay at your current (12.5 mg.) ambien dose.  Once you feel stable and ready, you can continue to taper down and off the Ambien.  I was taking ativan sporadically, but 10 mg. ambien nitely.  I tapered off the ambien first, then tackled the ativan with a C/O to valium. 

Hope your taper goes smoothly for you.  I applaud you for wanting to get off the Big Benzo ride (including Ambien).  :thumbsup:

God bless,

Rocko