Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

Regaining Sense of Smell & Taste After CoVid

[Fi...]

A close friend of mine, aged 42, was stricken with CoVid. She claims she did not get vaccinated due to comorbidities. She did not require hospitalization but did go to the ER twice for testing and treatment during the initial onset. She has mostly recovered after a few (3 or 4) months but, she says she still can't taste or smell things after recovering from the other symptoms.

Does anyone have some suggestions or thoughts Re: recovering her loss of taste & smell after CoVid? 

Thanks in advance. :)

Sorry to hear about your friend Fi. I am glad I was fully vaccinated. I recovered quickly with minimal sxs and I had no loss in taste or smell. Most ppl do recover these senses. My best friend and ex-coworker got his back after about a month. I just called him up and asked him on the phone. It's said it could take as long as a year to return, but a small minority might be left with permanent dysfunction of these senses. I hope your friend is not one of them.

Sorry to hear about your friend Fi. I am glad I was fully vaccinated. I recovered quickly with minimal sxs and I had no loss in taste or smell. Most ppl do recover these senses. My best friend and ex-coworker got his back after about a month. I just called him up and asked him on the phone. It's said it could take as long as a year to return, but a small minority might be left with permanent dysfunction of these senses. I hope your friend is not one of them.

Thanks, I just received word from my friend that her sense of taste returned yesterday. She said it's not like it was before but at least she can taste things again. She also said her sense of smell has not returned yet. Perhaps with time, her sense of smell will return too and then her sense of taste will improve as well. She has had a difficult life but she remains hopeful and patient.

I am happy your friend has some taste back. I think both senses will eventually come back online slowly. We take these senses for granted until we don't have them. Imagine being unable to taste and enjoy some of the favorite foods you love.