Important Survey - Please Participate ×

New to tapering Klonopin 0.25. Need water taper advice

[Am...]

I managed to wean in 2020 from 0.5mg Kl to 0.25 by splitting the pill in quarters without bad side affects.

In 2021 I tried to go from 0.25 to 0.125 dry tablets - knew nothing about tapering and had a terrible year - depression, fear, doom and gloom, dark thoughts. Never had these symptoms in my life before.

Have been trying to water taper the last few months and its not as bad but quite confusing. I get overwhelmed looking at the site and the math so was wondering if anyone can help as I'm sure its quite simple.

I'm just using filtered water and am dissolving 0.25Kl and blending in a mini blender. It seems ok but am wondering if others have success with plain old water? I have not looked into the other methods.

I  am using the spreadsheet on Dr Paerts site and trying to titrate by 1% a day. how do I know that is the right rate? I have held in times of stress or travel.

By November I was using 200ml of water with 0.25kl and tossing 81 to take 0.149 and doing ok - relatively.

I noticed that as the spreadsheet gets to week 4 the % daily drop was going above 1%  so I played around and did another one with more water (220) ml. to make the % drop by around 1% a day again.

I notice that when I get to week 4 of this I would be dropping at over 1% a day again.

How do we plan for these increases? Do we keep adding more water? it is a lot to consume before I go to bed which is the only time I take Kl.

how long will it take me to wean from 0.131 which is where I am at now?

Is it safe to cut the 0.25 which is already half of the 0.5 tab in half so essentially a quarter tab? I was told the smallest prescription available is 0.5mg

When we split the pill in a quarter we don't know if we're actually getting 0.125mg do we and sometimes pieces crumble ?

also I made a mistake when I switched from 200ml to 220 ml of water and one day instead of taking out 114 ml of water I took out 104, then 105 etc for a week so essentially I accidently went back up for the past week (no wonder I had no symptoms). Now I have to go back down again. Any advice on speed of decrease and how long it might take me to wean completely?

I'm not sure how to keep it at 1% without adding a ton more water.

Am a bit overwhelmed looking through posts the site so any advice appreciated

Hi Amber9,

I tapered from 3mg Klonopin per day.  I did a dry taper until I got down to the last 0.25 and my experience was like yours - the dose was too small to cut accurately.  I switched to a water taper at that point.  The caveat about using water is that it needs to be shaken or stirred and dosed right away because the pill particles settle to the bottom.  The instructions for a taper plan similar to mine are on this YouTube link:

Libertas

yes I used Paerts site.

I'm using a blender to ensure dilution and it seems to be ok.

My question is how do I plan to keep it at a 1% daily drop on the spreadsheet. As the dose gets smaller the % drops go way up

Kate congrats on getting off!

How much water do I use to keep my % drop at 1% a day? It seems like it will take a year or more to get off 0.132

I’m sorry but I don’t have experience with Peart’s spreadsheet.  Let’s hope another member who does will stop by to help. If not, would you be open to considering alternatives?