Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

[...]

hi all i am a newbie to this forum and have been taking xanax prescribed by a physician. i have been taking 5mg per day for 18 years. one 1mg tab 5xper day. i have seldom gone above the prescribed dosage in all that time. i have tried tapering without medical help a few times with varying degrees of success. always to return and gradually get back to 5mg per day. tomorrow i am going to a hospital for inpatient detox and i am very scared. this program is basically cold turkey with anti-convulsives and low dose trazedone (which i should mention i also take. dosage of 450mg at bedtime and i dont know what the plan will be for that). id appreciate any insight from members who have gone this route so i can get a handle on what to expect during and after my research on the internet has been nightmarish and even the social worker who screened me for the program called the detox process, "gruesome" thanks so much

Hi mbh, Welcome to BenzoBuddies!

We have many members who have done what you're planning to do, and if there were time before you went in tomorrow, I'm sure all of them would say, DON'T DO IT!  A cold turkey will set you up for some pretty harsh symptoms for many, many months when you're released.  Is there anyway you could back out and use us to do this?  We could save you thousands of dollars, a lot of pain and support you through the entire process.

Most folks who do this reinstate after leaving the hospital and find a way to taper on their own, others stick out the cold turkey and leave with what comes next.  Whatever you decide to do, we'll support you, so please keep us posted, we want to help.

Pam

Please listen to Pam! I've been the detox route. I was in there for 5 days, but the problems didn't start until 2 days after I got home (after the benzo wore off). It was a 3 week hellish nightmare for me until I reinstated the xanax and found a Dr. to cross me over to valium. I've been tapering a long time, but it is so much easier than the cold turkey. I will be free from benzos this summer.  :yippee:

Please reconsider your decision to go the detox route. Rehabs are for opiates and alcohol, they don't understand benzo withdrawal yet and they make you feel like a drug addict (for me anyway). Don't worry about the trazodone right now.

Everyone here will help you and answer any questions you have, they practically have held my hand through all of this and I am extremely grateful.

:hug:

Please reconsider  http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o60/kimba2162/congrats%20and%20stuff/smileyplease-1.jpg

Whatever you decide, like Pam said, we will support you!

Kim

wow now i am more scared than ever. im completely confused and dont know what to do. the social worker at the hospital did tell me the process can be gruesome. yes he used that word! he said the program was not perfect and the only stuff ive found online sounds horrific. i dont know who to trust or what to believe. doesnt anyone have anything positive to say about cold turkey??? in a hospital setting?

I'm sorry we've added to your concerns and fears, but really, a cold turkey withdrawal is the worst way to do this, I know because I quit that way.  I went to a hospital and they gave me two doses of Klonopin and Phenobarbital and told me that was my detox, that I would join the rest of the drug and alcohol population to learn the 12 steps.  It had been 3 days since I'd had any Klonopin by that time and I was starting to get really sick. 

I left the hospital that night AMA and tried to find a Dr willing to help me, they all referred me to the place I'd just left, so I just continued my cold turkey with no idea what was happening to me.  It was horrific, and I wouldn't wish it on anyone, this is why we try so hard to talk people out of it.

The hospital will help you off the drug, and keep you from seizing, but there are no drugs which will take the pain away.  I'm so sorry to scare you this way, but I wish you'd reconsider your plan.

MBH,  I think everyone likes to think of their doctor as the holy grail with all knowing wisdom.  Truth is its just not true.  There are so many chemicals available , many which perform miracles , but long term use can turn them from what was once the cure to the curse.

This is the case for benzo's .  A drug designed to relieve anxiety;, aid with sleep , is wonderful short term, but once addicted it completely changes the chemistry in your brain. 

Whether you go or not is up to you, but any drug that works on gaba receptors in your brain should be reduced slowly to allow your body to adjust to the slow reduction of the poison ;its been fed.

I think anyone thats been on the site for awhile and reads your post would encourage you to reconsider the CT approach and let us work up a slow , ( possibly 6 months or longer based on the dosage your at) steady reduction plan to cut down on  the severity of your withdrawl symptoms, allowing you to handle them better.

Whatever you decide we will be here to help you thru the healing period.

st

• 4 weeks later...
i want to update all of you on my progress. i entered the hospital on may 20th and had my last dose of xanax that morning at 9:30. the protocol for detox called for a loading dose of depakote  and 150mg of seroquel plus non benzo anxiety med and muscle relaxer. i suffered thru 5 days at the hospital then for roughly 2 weeks post hospital with physical side effects. in retrospect im not sure if what i was feeling was from not having xanax or a result of the seroquel and depakote. i had a taper schedule with those drugs and as i write this on june 17th i am feeling great. no physical or mental desire for xanax whatsoever. i am aware that i have to let my brain repair and i am taking it easy but overall this was the best thing i could have ever done for myself. life without the benzos is wonderfully fulfilling and i am ecstatic not to be physically dependent on a drug. i consider my detox successful in the extreme. i am feeling great physically emotionally and mentally. all my relationships have improved and i couldnt be happier. i am fortunate in that i have had the full support of friends and family. i have no idea why people on the site have had such bad experiences with this type of detox but i feel it is very important to let folks know that a doctor supervised inpatient program of c/t from benzos CAN work. please feel free to contact me if you have questions about this type of detox or if you have also completed successful detox in this manner as id be very interested to hear your story. thanks to all for encouragement.

Hi mbh,

I'm thrilled the program was successful for you, we love happy endings!  :yippee:  I agree, being benzo free is wonderful, and I'm so glad you're doing so well.  Please keep up posted on your recovery, we need to document this for others who might be considering this option.  :thumbsup:

http://i1132.photobucket.com/albums/m575/maxmoo/Funny%20Pics/Decor%20Smileys/ditto.gif

This IS wonderful news!  Thank you for letting us know, and I hope you continue to heal and start enjoying life again. :)