Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

How do I stop thinking about my taper????????

[Wi...]

You probably won't, this process seems to consume us, it's all we can think or talk about.  Distraction is useful, so try to find things to keep your mind off of it, if you can.  I kept doing projects just to stay busy, I still thought about how miserable I was, but at least they helped the time pass.

[cb...]

I use distraction. As Pam said. Find something that you like to do, hobbies &c.

There has been a few times.. I actually did forget about my taper using distraction.

Though the w/d was there, it's like it becomes a part of you until you are healed.

S#

• 2 weeks later...

Hey--

I find that a lack of stimuli such as light, heat, noise, and social interaction are helpful. Also a cushion med like gabapentin to assist the process--different mode of action, used off-label as a mood stabilizer, and my favorite med in the world; would like to be on just that till the bitter-seeming end.

Yeah, my taper--must leave this computer in a second--is heavy on my mind, and peace and quiet and no ppl is not an option right now. Would do so much better in a little dark nest, fan going, good books around me, a computer to the right, and, much as I hate it, no caffiene. Read up on kava if you can--lots of opinions on that; Wikipedia a good source w/ biochemist writers.

Peace, darkness, cool, and alla that

jd ;)

It definetly consumes your thoughts.  I know that I drive the people close to me crazy because I talk about it all the time.  I also find things to do to just pass the time away.  Whether its doing a puzzle, coloring (yes I like to color), clean (dont like to but obsess about it) to watching lots of reality shows.  It is part of the process.  It sucks because we watch life pass us by but I know the end result we will be free and enjoy our lives.  Hang in there.

Great responses.  Keep em comin.  Oh Julia I love the idea of a nice cool dark nest.  In about 3 weeks when I am at .25 of clonazepam school will be out and I will hopefully be ending my taper in that type of setting.  Until then though I have to tough it out in the real world....hot, sticky,  and noisy. One day at a time I will make it to the land of benzo freedom.

Taper is a shitty thing to look forward to. I focused on the withdrawal days behind me, how far I was toward my ultimate goal . . . . my progress toward my next goal (next cut), etc. Keep your eyes on the up side.

Hi,

Can you tell me about your esperience with gabapentin and how it helped you. eading everything to try to get the most info during this nightmare.

sph

Hey--

I find that a lack of stimuli such as light, heat, noise, and social interaction are helpful. Also a cushion med like gabapentin to assist the process--different mode of action, used off-label as a mood stabilizer, and my favorite med in the world; would like to be on just that till the bitter-seeming end.

Yeah, my taper--must leave this computer in a second--is heavy on my mind, and peace and quiet and no ppl is not an option right now. Would do so much better in a little dark nest, fan going, good books around me, a computer to the right, and, much as I hate it, no caffiene. Read up on kava if you can--lots of opinions on that; Wikipedia a good source w/ biochemist writers.

Peace, darkness, cool, and alla that

jd ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I would suggest keeping busy as you can....walk, plant flowers, volunteer, go to a movie,

out to eat with friends, call a friend, go to library and get a book and watch television?

I starting tapering around March and I don't really think about it....I just do it.  I write down the milligrams I am taking and I don't think about tapering as I keep busy.  I also clean and cook and that is not fun however it keeps me busy.

Gail  "This too shall pass"

• 2 weeks later...
As a born again Christian, I pray about it a lot. I quit thinking about my taper when I read in the Bible that we are not promised a tomorrow. I finally understood this and learned to just live one day at a time and don't worry about what tomorrow will bring and thank the Lord for the good day I am having at the moment. Well this is what works for me. Just thought I would share it with you. Take one day at a time and enjoy it with family, friends and any other things you like to do. Try going outdoors in the sun. It provides vitamin D to the body and so much more. Even if just sitting on your porch for half an hour a day does wonders for the body. I wish you well and hope this helps.