Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Difficulty swallowing eating/throat so tight/concerned/titration is worse

Orginally put on xanax for tight throat (wasn't that bad).  So, it's one of my major w/d sx , including intense d/r, and sometimes d/p.  the throat is so tight (& jaw) that I feel like I'm choking all the time, and very, very dry mouth.  It seems even worse since I started this slow titration.

Anyone else?  need support & encouragement.

Aryana

I never had a tight throat until I started taking Xanax. It was one of my worst interdose withdrawal symptoms.

I did not have it with Valium or Librium - only Xanax.

You mentioned you had this pre-benzo.  Has your doctor given you any alternative ways to deal with it other than a benzo?

I know others have mentioned having this symptom, so hopefully someone will be along to share what may have helped them with it.  :)

I found this in the Ashton Manual, Aryana:

"A few people have difficulty in swallowing food - the throat seems to tighten up especially if eating in company. This is usually a sign of anxiety and is well-known in anxiety states. Practising relaxation, eating alone, taking small well chewed mouthfuls with sips of liquid and not hurrying make things easier and the symptom settles as anxiety levels decline."

It sounds like working on ways to calm yourself and manage your anxiety would help.  Have you checked out the many helpful threads on the Anxiety Board?  Here is one of my favorites:

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=13001.msg180729#msg180729

Actually, xanax was the only drug that seemed to relax my throat muscles for many years, & only took small doses with meals.  Went into w/d on that which was super difficult.  Klonopin relieved it somewhat, and when i was benzo free for a while, it was manageable & I didn't feel anxious.  It was checked out by doctor, and they found nothing.  Very hard in w/d.

Thanks for responding.  It has been so bad, sometimes, that I literally could not eat/drink & had to be on IV's. It can be constant, and sometimes relaxes on certain days--no reason.  No difference.

Yes, I have only been on xanax a short while but it gives me a very tight throat and makes it hard to swallow. I cut my dose in half after a weeks use because I was not explained to tapper from my doctor. I was in the hospital for 12 hours with an incredable burning in my throat. I was unable to swallow, it was dry and burning I couldn't believe it. I've never felt anything like it. Now I am tapering slowly and sometimes it gets tight at night

Well, I was put on the xanax to relieve tight throat, which wasn't that tight at the time, but taperin from any benzo exacerbates it and dry mouth/throat all the time.  very hard to eat/drink/swallow.

Hi draryana,

The first time that my throat tightened up on me I went into panic mode! I had never experienced anything like that before, and it was terrible, I can relate to you on this symptom, and totally understand the effect that it has on you.

As I get further along in the withdrawal process the throat issue has gotten much better, I am sure that it will for you too. For my dry throat I suck on hard candy and chew gum.

The best to you!

pj

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Draryana,

I have been plagued by the tight throat and dry mouth/throat through my whole withdrawal. Still there for me, but usually less. Doesn't freak me out anymore.

I still chew slowly and thoroughly, which is probably a good thing anyhow. It kinda has moved around for me too, sometimes it's like globus hystericus (aka cricopharyngeal spasm, plum stone throat), sometimes it's more like the upper part of my esophagus. My tongue and mouth get a lot of tension too. It truly sucks. My mother gets throat tension when she is anxious as well. So I kinda figured it was a family thing ; )

Anyways, what I do that helps is;

I take magnesium every day. I used to take it just before bed so it would relax my throat so I could get at least some sleep. I take anywhere between 150-400mg. You know if you have taken too much cause it can make your stools too loose. I would also try to stretch my throat/neck muscles. Massage and trigger point massage helps although it is kinda temporary.

For dry mouth, I chew xylitol gums (I like spry best) and swish biotene mouthwash. I try to pay attention to my mouth, that I keep it closed and breath through my nose. If my nose isn't breathing easily I use a neti pot to clear it. I didn't find constantly sipping water to be helpful. In fact it seemed to dry me out more. So I would drink lots of fluids, but not slowly sipping them. I also found a bit of honey to be soothing to my dry throat. Pineapple and apricot juices are good for moistening your mouth and throat. Singers use them.

I had a endoscopy done early on and it was fine. It will get better, but it may take a while. If you learn to accept it, it does make it less intense. Have you read Claire Weekes? I found her book, 'Hope and Help for your Nerves' to be a life saver!

Anyway, hope this helps.

-Tanya