Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Clonazepam Taper plan of .125. Anyone had success?

[Wi...]

I started at 1mg and am now at .875.  I took .5 mg for 3 months and then 1mg for the next 3 months.  I am planning on tapering .125 every 10 days or so.  Anyone had success with this plan?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Wi...]

• [cu...]

• [NY...]

• [xe...]

Your plan sounds good, just be flexible if you don't feel well.  It's important to listen to the signals your body is telling you and adjust your taper accordingly.  I was just speaking with Midwest, she's tapering at .125 and she was on the drug only a short time, maybe the two of you could compare notes.  Here is a link to her thread in case you'd like to comment.  http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=31166.0

Gosh, I'm tapering with titration which is 1.25mgs every 50 days, and it's been hell.  Does this sound right??  I wish I could go that fast.

would appreciate feedback.

Aryana

[96...]
Hi - I'm tapering from Klonopin and started at the .125mg. I started with a 2ml taper a day but have been able to go to 3ml a day now for about 2 weeks or so. I'm down to 60ml left. I found not pushing myself too hard but not going too slow and just hanging in there is the best route for me. Hope you have some success. You'll know based on how you feel - be kind to yourself and stay stong  :)

Well I cut to .75 4 days ago I feel fine.  I feel like I will be able to make another cut on in 3 more days.  This will be making a cut of .125 in 7 days.  I read on the net that .125 every 7 days is the "proper" way to taper off Klonopin.  Anybody else done it this way?

Dropped to .625 the night before last.  Still looking for anyone that has had success with this taper plan of dropping .125 every week or so.

I dropped 0.25 mg a week for two weeks. It was very rough. Four nights out of seven, no sleep, plus lots of anxiety and GI symptoms.

So slowed to 0.125 mg per week. Very doable. Not pleasant. I kept a daily log of each symptom. The weekly schedule made each day somewhat predictable. I'd cut on Friday, Saturday would be good, Sunday, OK, then Mon-Thu I had the worst of the withdrawal, with things resolving late Thursday into Friday. Then another cut. I almost chickened out of my last 0.125 but went ahead and actually had a little less withdrawal being Klonopin free. The acute withdrawal is just letting up -- 16 days. Life started to improve actually about 5 days after my last klonopin.

I was on klonopin for the purpose of getting off xanax, which I took nightly at a dose of 0.5 for sleep for about five months, and intermittently for six months before that. So probably my addiction was similar to yours.

Glad you're doing well. Whatever weirdness you experience from now until about a month off the drug, you can attribute to withdrawal. Remember that you ARE sane and withdrawal is healing.

Wilcofan, keep strong, keep your confidence. The worst part of withdrawal is fear. Whatever withdrawal you've already had from cutting 0.125, you won't have any withdrawal that's worse. Steady as she goes, as they say in the movies. The results are wonderful. Today was my best day in four months, 16 days after last K. I felt totally normal today.

Plenty of people had success with this plan. I believe Colin says that it's all that is required for most members. It's also a recipe for a crash and burn for other members like myself. Give it a shot and see how you feel. If you start feeling too rough, slow it down, don't wait until it's unbearable. I wish you the best of luck with it.

Yes, .125 about every 10 days works out quite well for lots of people.  It went well for me until I hit .5 at which time I switched over to titration.  Good luck with it.

Draftsman

I know that everyone is different. I dropped from 2 mgs clonazapam (klonopin) to 1 mg (I wouldn't recommend anyone do this. Way too fast.) about 9 days ago. My w/d symptoms were bearable until yesterday. From what I understand it's around 8 days that the second half life drops which is when I felt my worst. Although as the day went on I was feeling better. I'm a little shaky this morning.

I plan on staying on 1 mg for about a month until I stabilize. At which point I'll go down about 11% every three or four weeks, dry cut. I've been on clonazapam for 4 years which is why I'm being careful not to shock my system anymore than I already have.

I completely agree with yram, fear is anyone's worst enemy. When you get fearful of symptoms, that causes anxiety and when you're coming off of an anti-anxiety drug any bit of anxiety is magnified. So, attitude is just as important as a slow taper.

What I've learned is that strange sensations can't hurt you. It's best to accept that this is all part of getting free from these blasted drugs.

Good luck, Wilcofan.

I went down to 2-3mg of clonazepam a day to 1mg a day in about 1month,(was rough for a couple weeks)  but now that I'm at 1mg a day Im gonna slow it way down and drop it to .125mg every 7 days until Im benzo free..the main symptoms I feel is headache, kinda out of it, and a bit tired but I power through it by exercising every day and taking alot of vitamins( A multi-vitamin, Vit. B complex, Fish Oil, and Calcium/Magnesium)  ...best of luck to you on our journey to get off this junk!

It is now 5 days since my last cut and I feel stable.  The only time I really experience withdrawal symptoms is like 2 1/2 hours before my dose.  It seems like the lower my dose the less intense my withdrawal.  Has anyone else experienced this?

Wilcofan,

Your thread gives me hope! I dropped from 2mg to 1mg after 4weeks of use with minor w/d symptoms about 7 days later. I'm holding for a month and then will continue in a similar fashion as you.

GREAT work! Hope all goes well in the final stages for you.

cubfan4real

Hang in there cuban.  The .125 cuts have been manageable so far for me.  The withdrawal seems to resolve in like 4 days.  Don't get me wrong...this totally sucks, but I have a strong desire to get of this stuff.  Even though I am in withdrawal I am losing some of those feelings of helplessness that I had when I was on my full dose.

Hang in there cuban.  The .125 cuts have been manageable so far for me.  The withdrawal seems to resolve in like 4 days.  Don't get me wrong...this totally sucks, but I have a strong desire to get of this stuff.  Even though I am in withdrawal I am losing some of those feelings of helplessness that I had when I was on my full dose.

Thanks bud,

I'm waiting until June 20th which is when I return from a 4 day vacation. I also see my psychiatrist on June 25th and will ask for .5mg tablets. I'm currently splitting the 1mg tabs into 2 doses per day. I have a funny feeling she will advise me to drop from 1mg to .5mg per day. After all, she told me drop from 2mg to 1mg. I had no idea how much of a cut that was until finding these Forums.

I would like to see if I can cut to .75mg on the 20th. Like you, I want OFF as soon as possible but realize it might be a marathon, not a sprint.

When I first started I tried cutting .125 every 3 days.  This is what the clonazepam PI sheet suggests.  So basically it was a .25 cut over a few days.  It was rough.

I am set to cut to .375 tonight.  I feel stable, but damn I am scared to make the cut.  The fear is the only thing causing me problems.  I am not really experiencing w/d, but I am feeling anxiety about making the cut.  I am trying to keep yram's advice about fear.  Anyone else have pointers for dealing with the fear of a cut?

Keep your eye on the goal- each cut a step closer, each cut a victory, Like was said- you have already seen w/d, and you know what its like and have lived through it til tonight. and you will be around to post tomorrow about your victory.

Its okay.-Susan

I went ahead and made the cut last night. It is like 4pm now and I feel pretty good.  I can't wait to be off of this poison. More than half way there now.