Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Extreme Muscle Tension - any suggestions on how to deal with this

I am experiencing major muscle tension through the left shoulder and chest area and especially by the armpit area. It also goes down the arm. I keep trying to stretch and it does not seem to be getting any better. Any suggestions? I have been off of klonopin since March 17, 2011, but had to use a little xanax between 5/03 and 5/10 due to traveling. Also, before that, because I was having a lump in throat feeling and wasn't sure if it was allergies, I went to the allergist and he gave a childs dose of presnedone for which I only took for 3 days as it brought on anxiety and muscle tension. I was being able to control the muscle tension before this. 

I found a hot pad worked well, some swear by epsom salt baths. I had terrible jaw/neck/shoulder tension and used Bengay a lot and got some relief that way.

Gentle stretching throughout the day.  Epsom salts baths for at least 20 minutes with the water as warm as I can stand it eases tension and has a calming effect. 

Like Linder said, Bio Freeze helps a lot of people.  I can't use it because I'm asthmatic and the smell literally takes my breath away.  So be warned if you have any respiratory issues.  I never bothered to find out if there's an unscented version, but I kind of doubt it because it's the menthol that does the work.  Hopefully this isn't a problem for you because I know many who swear by it.

Mal

Thank you all for your suggestions. I really do appreciate it. I will try the epsom salt baths. It is funny that you all suggested biofreeze, because I was just thinking about slathering some tiger balm on, which I think works much better than biofreeze, just my personal experience. It penetrates the muscle deeper and lasts longer. Also, wanted to find out if any of you have heard of Ancient Minerals, which is a magnesium product that you can put in your bath or directly on your skin which they say is more efficient than oral supplementation and then you get the benefits of magnesium and the hot bath and I would think you could add the epsom salts too. Any thought?

I'm not familiar with Ancient Minerals, but it sounds like something that might be of benefit.  I take a calcium/magnesium supplement before bed and that does help to relax me a bit, so I know magnesium has this effect.  As to how it works when applied to the skin, I don't know anything about that.  I would have to do my homework on that one, but thank you for suggesting it. 

Mal

i don't know if Tiger balm would work on bruised ribs and torn muscle tissue for sure. I would be inclined to say it might since muscle tissue is involved.

You can get tiger balm at walgreens, health food stores, etc.  But the best deal I have found is on amazon. get it in ultra strength or sports balm in the I think it is 1.7 oz tin. If you buy it int the store you can only get the little tiny bottle that will cost you about $6 and the tin is around $11 or $12 and you can get free shipping. This is based on ancient chinese medicine and it does have a strong smell but most people do not mind it and I have found it to be the best for sore stressed muscles. Let me know what you think if you decide to get it.

Ok. I also wanted to tell you about an oil I've tried before that works great...it's called Sunbreeze from Sunrider. I started a thread on it in the alternative meds section a while ago. I had forgotten all about it until I saw this thread. You can get it off ebay...it's a small bottled but it last a long time!

I had heard that epsom salts bath too quickly detoxes your body so have been avoiding them.  Is that true?  Would love to take a warm bath for my upper back pain!

With regards to an epsom salts bath. I know when you work out or get a massage if you take a hot bath with epsom salts or dead sea salts it helps with soreness as the chemicals released from your muscle tissue are attracted to the chemicals in the salt and the salt pulls the chemicals out of your body which helps with pain that is caused by a workout or a deep massage. I have clients that I tell about this who use this technique after their massage and I have done this myself and can testify that it truly works. Plus it is relaxing and you get an excellent nights sleep.