Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Tapering From .5 Clonazepam

Found BB about a month ago when I realized I was hooked on Clonazepam.  Doctor prescribed 30 x .5 as need for anxiety while we were adjusting my AD meds.  Clonazepam worked well, three weeks later came back for more and he prescribed me 60 x .1.  I mostly broke them in half and took them for another 2 weeks.  Meanwhile, I was adjusting well to my AD meds and thought time to stop the Clonazepam.

So today I am starting my liquid clonazepam daily taper.  Going to start at 10% per week for two weeks then assess.  I have done everything I can to prepare for this over the past couple weeks.  No job for three years, no insurance but a loving an supportive wife and daughter.

I have been taking Lexapro 10-20mg and Ambien 10-12.5mg for 10 years.  Two months ago added Wellbutrin 150.

My doc wants to only focus on the Clonazepam for now.  As soon as I am recovered I will start coming off the Lexapro, Ambien and Wellbutrin.

I am very fearful of how the Ambien will affect me both during and post-taper.  Guess I have to leave that in God's hands.  Will keep you posted.

Liquid Clonezapam Titration

5/16/ - .5

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [ok...]

• [tr...]

• [Pa...]

• [Ma...]

Top Posters In This Topic

[91...]

ok,

It sounds like you have everything well prepared & underway.

I have done everything I can to prepare for this over the past couple weeks.  No job for three years, no insurance but a loving an supportive wife and daughter.

That's a good thing :)

It's good to have plenty of support around you. Has your wife read the Ashton Manual? Any Material that will give her some idea how withdrawal works?

I agree with focusing on one med at a time.

It sounds like you're all set  :thumbsup:

About the Ambien, hopefully others can weigh in on this. I c/t everything else with no problem.

(Not recommending it!)

Going to start at 10% per week for two weeks then assess.

Good plan.

S#

Hi Ok,

You have a good plan, there will be time to taper from the other meds once you're off the Clonazepam.  The only problem I can see with the Ambien is the inter-dose withdrawal you could have since it's half life is so short and the fact that 10 mgs of Ambien is equal to .25 mgs of Clonazepam, so you'll have to face that hurdle when you're done.  But I quit Ambien cold turkey and except for the fact that I couldn't sleep for awhile, I actually felt better because I wasn't withdrawing from it each day.

Pam

Thanks Sigma and Pamster, you are both very supportive and I'm sure I will need your shoulders to lean on along the way.

Kelly

Well today is my first daily reduction.  Yesterday I switched to the liquid clonazepam and stayed at my stable rate to see if it felt different.  Had a rough night last night, I think I forgot to shake the bottle before I took my evening dose, got to remember to do that, maybe all the meds had sunk to the bottom.  It's important for me to write on this blog.  Thanks for caring.

Second day of reduction, so far I have cut almost 3% of my dose.  Just a slightly faster heart rate, mild tinnitis and a little blah feeling.  Guess I am waiting for things to get worse.  Probably won't be disappointed.

4th Day of reduction, going smoothly....except after the 5 hour Ambien sleep I started having interdose withdrawals.  Guess I am going to have to put up with crappy mornings until I can get clear of the Clonazepam and begin tapering the Ambien.  I am so bummed out. :(

Sigma, thanks for your kind words.

Pamster...you were right.

[91...]
I am so bummed out.

I hear you. This can be a stressful situation, no doubt  :o

Just hang in there, and you will make it.

S#

Just passed my first week.  10% reduction using liquid clonazepam.  Very thankful to be having minimal side effects.  Time just seems to be moving so slow.  My heart goes out to all my suffering brothers and sisters.  Keep coming back for support.

Kelly

[91...]

Kelly,

My heart goes out to all my suffering brothers and sisters.

Ditto Brother.

I hope your symptoms stay tolerable. Sounds like you're doing a good job.

Keep going.  :thumbsup:

S#

you are doing a GREAT job!  I know when you first begin , it's kind of scary wondering if you are getting all the medication in the liquid etc...Titration has saved my life. Dry cutting was waaaaaaaaaay too hard for me, and now I am down to my last 3.5ML

Keep up the good work man!

It's been a week and a day.  I have cut 11.4% and withdrawal symptoms are all tolerable.  Had a little heightened anxiety after a rough business call but took my dog for his second walk of the day and came back feeling better.  Dudley, my dog, thinks this whole withdrawal thing is pretty cool because I now walk him at least once a day where for years he only had the back yard to play in.

I am living kind of a bizarre existence.  I go to bed around three a.m., wake up about eight a.m. and then lay in the bed falling in and out until 11:00-11:30a.m.  Then when I get out of bed I know it's only 30-60 minutes until my morning dose.  I am trying to totally escape the mornings because I just don't have enough to do everyday and mornings have always been hard.

Living with ringing in my ears doesn't really bother me.  I have two fans going at all times in what ever room I am in.  Always liked the white noise.  Heart palpitations have been mild.  I am so thankful that I my time on the drug was fairly brief.  I am so taken by the heart-wrenching stories that I read here every night.  I am addicted to reading everyone's stories.  I feel like I know so many of you and you probably don't know that I exist.  No hard feelings:).

Sigma,

You have sent me several support responses.  I thank you for them.  You are very kind.

Mark,

I know you have also sent me responses in the past.  Thank-you. 

I have read both of your posting histories in great detail.  Keep up the good work!

Kelly

Hi Kelly,

I'm glad Dudley is benefiting from your misery, my dog did too.  I'd take her out walking after dark and before sunrise to avoid humans, when I needed to escape my four walls.

It sounds like you've found a way to get past the tinnitus by having the fans going, good for you.  I hope reading the horror stories hasn't caused you any stress.

Saturday night, just reading through the latest posts.  13th day of daily titration.  Have reduced 17.1%  Symptoms remain bearable.  Fast heart beat, tinnitis, lack of appetite, fatigue and hard mornings.  Have lost 30 pounds.  From 225 to 195 and everyone thinks I look great.  :tickedoff: I know that when I have passed through this I will have a much better appreciation for the little things in life.

Pamster,

Thanks for your note.  The horror stories have caused me stress but I can't look away.  I am drawn to reading such poignant stories.  I know my recovery will be mine and mine alone.  Have learned a lot from you and your cohorts.

Thanks.

Day 14 of my 10 week taper off clonazepam and just reached the 20% reduction point.  I am trying to do everything right.  So far my days have been manageable.  Actually went and walked on the beach with my wife for an hour today.  No new symptoms.

The mornings are always rough so my new routine is to roll out of bed, throw on some clothes and walk the dog.  Helps me get prepared for the day.  Also helps kill a good 30-45 minutes.  Usually when I get back it's time for my noon dose.  My first follow up with my doc is on Wed.  Hope he is proud of me, I am right on schedule.

Kelly

It's good to hear you're able to walk your dog, that was really helpful to me when I was withdrawing too.  Mornings are rough for most folks, maybe if you had a little something to eat before your walk, you could get your blood sugar raised which might improve your morning.  Let us know what the Dr says.

HI KELLY,

THANKS FOR THE CHAT TIME TONIGHT!  I THOUGHT SINCE YOU HAD READ ABOUT ME, I SHOULD READ ABOUT YOU, TOO!  LOL!  :laugh:

I WISH YOU THE VERY BEST WITH YOUR 10 WEEK PLAN TO BE FREE OF CLONAZEPAM.  THEN YOU WILL BE ABLE TO TACKLE THE OTHERS WHICH I UNDERSTAND ARE CONSIDERABLY EASIER!  THE ZOLOFT, SSRI, WAS FOR ME! 

JUST KEEP LIVING ONE DAY, OR ONE MOMENT AT A TIME AS NEEDED!  ;) 

I WILL BE BACK TO CHECK IN AND SEE HOW IT IS GOING FOR YOU.  ENJOY THOSE WALKS ON THE BEACH!

LOVE,

:smitten:

LILY

[91...]

Kelly,

While in withdrawal. I try to stay away from the horror stories. In a way they aren't so horrible because they all come out to be a success story within the end.

Hope you are doing better.

S#

Hey everyone...just checking in.  I have cut my dose by 30% over the past three weeks and things seem to be going smoothly.  I remember my friend Erik saying that once the poison starts leaving your body you will feel better.  Well yesterday for the first time I had a glimpse of what life was like before.  Can't wait to get more out of my system.  I am trying to do everything right.  I am real consistent as to when I take my two doses; noon and 6pm.  Seems like I always feel better the longer I am from the last dose.  Night times are definitely the easiest.

Thanks for all your continued support.

Kelly

Wow Kelly, you sound great!  These drugs are so unpredictable, some feel better the lower they get, others aren't so lucky.  I'm so glad you seem to be in the first group.  Keep up the great work!  :thumbsup:

Hey Kelly

Can you tell me if you are getting withdrawals and can you describe what you are feeling. I am most interested in yours because I would like to get off just as quickly as you. But I am using caution. I just made my first cut to .45ml. I had a horrible night where I was awoken by those bizarre buzzing thingies running through my body. I was sweating buckets...threw blankets off...only to freeze up and then there is that damn tinnitus. I never even knew what tinnitus was until now and it is SO annoying. I also had a panic attack coupled with confusion and uncontrollable rumination...I think that's what it was because before Clonazepam, I did not really get those. If everything goes well this week...I plan to make my next cut after 7 days and not the 14 days I had previously decided upon.

You do sound like you are in great spirits. Hope your recovery is swift and successful.

Travuz,

Although things are going smoothly, I do have some manageable symptoms.  I have tinnitis but I don't notice it much because I am hardly ever in a quite room.  I always have a fan or two running and it blocks out the noise in my ears somewhat.  I never have much of an appetite until about midnight.  I have some low grade depression throughout the day, especially when I think about how long this all takes but I try to stay in the moment as much as possible and I have no motivation to do much of anything, especially socialize.  I have a few things that may be to my benefit for now.  I have been on a good dose of two anti-depressants for a while and I still take ambien at night to sleep.  These drugs may be helping keep the depression and anxiety at bay and the ambien still helps me sleep.  Although I will have to deal with that when I have recovered from the clonazepam.

I pray to god that these w/d symptoms stay at this level throughout my entire taper.  If that's the case, then I will feel like I have gotten off fairly lucky.  I also think that being on the liquid C and lowering my dose a small amount every day I don't have that adjustment period that comes each time you make a cut.

But the best advice I have been given is to listen to your body.  If mine starts to scream I will slow it down.

Please let me know how it's going for you.

Thanks.

Kelly