Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

could use help figuring out a sub plan from Klonopin to Valium

[ne...]

I could use help figuring out a sub plan from Klonopin to Valium.

I started at 3mg of Klonopin, and am now down to 0.875, can't seem to get below this point on Klonopin and think that a substitution plan is needed... I am not sure how to do this... i would appreciate any help.

Thanks all!

Congratulations on getting down from 3mg Klonopin to .875mg, newlife4me!  That is a huge accomplishment.  ;D

I assume you are splitting that .875mg K into two or more doses during the day?  If so, could you specify how much you are taking when?  We work off the general equivalency of 1mg Klonopin = 20mg Valium and go from there, replacing a dose of K. with an equivalent dose of Valium every week or two until you are on nothing but Valium; in your case, 17.5mg total.

Thank you Beeper!

Right now i am splitting the doses to three times a day as such:

6am: 0.25

2pm: 0.375

10pm: 0.25

right now i wouldn't be against going back to 1.00mg a day to stable out, since this taper to 0.875 has been horrific, unless you don't think that is a good idea... ?

Thanks again for your help!

Thank you Beeper!

Right now i am splitting the doses to three times a day as such:

6am: 0.25

2pm: 0.375

10pm: 0.25

right now i wouldn't be against going back to 1.00mg a day to stable out, since this taper to 0.875 has been horrific, unless you don't think that is a good idea... ?

Thanks again for your help!

If you felt pretty much okay at 1mg Klonopin, it might be a good idea to go back to that dose before crossing over. If you did decide to put back that .125mg, would you add it to the 10 pm?  Do you have the 5mg Valium tablets or...?

Beeper - i don't have the Valium yet, i wanted to show the schedule to my doctor when i see her this week.

I have read that it can be smoother... i hope so! 

Yes, i would add the 0.125 to the 10pm dose.

I"d probably replace the 3.75mg 10pm dose with 7.5mg valium, wait at least 2 weeks to make sure the valium has time to build up to full strength, then the 6 am .25mg dose with 5mg valium, wait another 2 weeks, and then replace the final .375mg dose with 7.5mg valium.  At that point, you will be on a total of 20mg valium.  Hope that helps.  Good luck at the doctor's.

Beeper, thank you!  :)

So to make sure i understand;

6am - 5.0mg

2pm - 7.5mg

10pm - 7.5mg

making the substitution one at a time, every two weeks?

Now, how do you taper down?  1mg or 0.50 mg at a time... what time frame?

Sorry so many questions  :D

We usually recommend starting by dropping roughly 10% of your total dose and, with Valium, waiting at least 2 weeks before making the next cut.  You can go slower or faster depending on how you feel.  BTW, I'd wait at least 2 weeks after your final substitution before making the cut if you can.  Questions are what we are here for, along with general support.  No worries.  ;)

Beeper,

thought i would update you really quick and again thank you for your help!

Met with the Dr, and will start the sub-taper tomorrow!  she was very knowledgeable on the Ashton method, and very supportive of the substitution.. So glad!  it is so great to finally find doctors with knowledge on the benzo-taper and withdrawal process.

again thank you!