Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Getting off Clonazepam

[br...]

Hi, thanks for having me, I've been reading the forum for a week or so now.  I started back in November 2010 on 1 mg of Clonazepam a day.  Just last month (April) I decided that the anxiety medication was giving me more anxiety and depression than it was worse.  It had a lot to due with the fact that I was always worrying about about having to increase dosage, memory loss, and missing a dose.  Anyhow, I met with my doctor on April 4th and he had me move down to .75 a day for a week, then to 0.5 for a week, then 0.25 for a week, and then off.  Long story short, I am stuck on 0.25.  What's worse, I only have the 1 mg pills so it makes it hard for me to cut them accurately.  I have been on the 0.25 mg a day for the past few weeks.  When I went from 0.25 to 0 I felt too much rebound anxiety and had to go back to 0.25.  I would like to go to 0.125 pills a.s.a.p. and get off this drug.  Any advice is appreciated.

Hello br34k, Welcome to BenzoBuddies!

Wow, your Dr had you taper pretty fast, we usually suggest cutting 10% of your total dose every week or two.  It might help you to go back up in dose just a bit to try to stabilize and slow down your taper, what do you think?  If you want to continue your taper, we can make some suggestions for cutting the pills, or explain simplified titration.

Please keep asking questions, we're here to help.

Pam

I read about the 10% thing, I am just worried about going back up in that I'm already "down" here if you will.  I wish I was able to get 0.5 mg pills it would make this much easier.

Are .5mg pills unavailable where you live? I would ask the doctor to the switch you to the .5 if you can.  I don't see why he/she would object.  That would make things easier on you. 

Pamster suggested you updose because your symptoms are probably very intense from such a quick drop. You don't need to updose back to 1mg, maybe even .5 would be helpful.  If you think you have stabilized at .25 mg and your symptoms are tolerable you can continue from there. 

BR, you know the problem, you identified the problem and you will succeed. The pain is horrendous, Hang on and never let go of the desire to win. These people here care and will support you as they know what you are going through

idho

I am sort of worried about asking for the 0.5 pills.  The doc. thinks I am off the medication by this point.  I have about 15 1 mg pills left so I'm trying to conserve every bit.  I am going to crush up a .25 into powder and split it up into two parts.  I really feel like an addict doing this but I'm trying to get as close to 0.125 as possible.

Hi, thanks for having me, I've been reading the forum for a week or so now.  I started back in November 2010 on 1 mg of Clonazepam a day.  Just last month (April) I decided that the anxiety medication was giving me more anxiety and depression than it was worse.  It had a lot to due with the fact that I was always worrying about about having to increase dosage, memory loss, and missing a dose.  Anyhow, I met with my doctor on April 4th and he had me move down to .75 a day for a week, then to 0.5 for a week, then 0.25 for a week, and then off.  Long story short, I am stuck on 0.25.  What's worse, I only have the 1 mg pills so it makes it hard for me to cut them accurately.  I have been on the 0.25 mg a day for the past few weeks.  When I went from 0.25 to 0 I felt too much rebound anxiety and had to go back to 0.25.  I would like to go to 0.125 pills a.s.a.p. and get off this drug.  Any advice is appreciated.

Hi br34k.

One easy way of getting the equivalent of a .125mg pill out of a 1mg tablet is to cut the tablet in quarters (.25mg pieces), mash up one of the pieces in a cup, mix in, say, 1/2 cup liquid (milk if you can drink it), stir well and quickly pour off 1/4 cup to save for the next day and drink 1/4 cup.  That will give you two .125mg doses.  Hope that helps.  You are almost there! ;)

Hi,,

I have been there with the clonazepam.

This can be done, remember to take the time to do this successfully.

I wish I had found this forum earlier in my recovery.

You have the tools to succeed!

-Dan